Forever and Always

The soothing smell of French vanilla and hazelnut wafted through the air of the noisy household. A girl, no older than fourteen sat nestled underneath pile of throws on the butterscotch colored leather couch, biting down hard on her thumb nail, a habit she’d acquired a long while back. Her unruly ash brown curls were securely tied up in a high ponytail, making her rosy apple cheeks seem more pronounced and elegant than usual. A few curled baby hairs stay curled around the nape of her neck while a cluster of freckles were splashed across her nose. As she watched the fate of her favorite characters unfold on the plasma screen fastened to the wall in front of her, the girl absentmindedly twirled the thin silver chain fastened around her neck.  A single pendant hung from the sterling links, half a heart.  The charm symbolized a split heart, one half a whole, meaning her heart was not her own, at least not anymore...

***********************************************

The boy’s band-aid covered fingers gripped firmly onto his bottle of water. He’d always hated doing interviews. He licked his lips, thinking about how he’d respond to the question just asked of him. “Why do you love her?” the reporter had asked. Why do I love her? He thought to himself. Well, because she was utterly, undeniably, superbly her; His beautiful girlfriend of 7 months and best friend/confidant of 5 years.

Everyone had said they would eventually end up together even though both had laughed and shook their heads in amusement. She had dated boys from the drama club, and the occasional jock but never him. Honestly he didn’t think it’d ever crossed her mind. He had just always been the guy there to pick up the pieces of her broken heart time and time again like the amazing friend he was. He hadn’t minded, not one bit, for he himself had had issues with the opposite sex, most trying to use him for the free publicity. Of all the females in his life (aside from his mother and grandmother of course) that had never once used him to fit their ‘hidden agenda’ if you will she was the only one that was with him for him whether their relationship be platonic or not. Which is why when he finally, yes finally, realized she was the one, he went for it, putting his heart and soul into the spur of the moment speech he’d blurted out in front of their peers. She’d been hesitant at first but then that goofy grin of hers spread across her pink lips and she jumped into his arms, kissing him unabashedly, both smiling against the long awaited kiss.

He smiled to himself remembering the memory of when they had first come out as a couple publicly.

“Oh my god Greyson, they’re gonna hate me. Just you wait, by tonight there’s gonna be a mob of girls outside my house with torches and pitchforks!” she rambled, her grip on his hand increasingly strengthening. He glided his thumb over the back of her hand, instantly calming her down.

 “It’ll be fine,” he soothed before placing a chaste kiss on her lips. She nodded, never letting her grip loosen.

“You ready?” Cody his best friend asked, the cursor of his mouse hovering over the button that would open the flood gates of hate. 

Greyson nodded. This spreecast would clear up all the rumors and clarify everything that needed clarifying. Clarity: the only important thing at the moment.

“Alrighty then.” Chody clicked the mouse and they were instantly ambushed with comments.

“Hi guys,” Greyson waved at the camera. He squinted his eyes. “Uh shout out to Savannah?”  He licked his lips. “Listen guys, there have been some rumors floating around that I want to address. Okay one, yes I am alive,” he chuckled. “Two, yes its true, I’m no longer single.” He lifted up he and Yana’s intertwined fingers. “Yes Alyanna Mallari is my girlfriend.”  Out of the corner of his eyes, he watched as she [Yana] hyperventilated. He brought her knuckles up to his lips and kissed them before lowering their hands back onto his lap. “Soooo yeah. I just wanted you guys to hear it from me officially. I love you all and God bless.”