Great Minds Think Alike

Disappointed, Akane left Shion's lab. Despite all of their efforts, they still didn't have any leads on who was the mastermind behind the strange crimes that had been plaguing the city. People had been disappearing for the last couple of months without a trace, except for a weird symbol written on their doors. However, there was no other physical evidence left behind at the crime scenes.

Her uneasy feeling wasn't helped by the fact that Kogami  hadn't said a word to her as they walked back.

As she plopped down at her desk, she sighed for what seemed to be the millionth time that day.  Not only did she not have any new leads on the case, but she was also obsessing over Kogami!

As she thought about him, she realized that both he and Ginoza had disappeared from the room, which was nothing if not suspicious. Curious, she got up and left the room, deciding to get herself some answers on Kogami's strange behavior.

***Kogami's POV****

Fuck. Despite his hardest efforts, as well as Ginoza's warnings, he had still somehow managed to almost kiss Akane. As soon as he had gotten back from Shion's lab, he went straight to Ginoza to ask him for advice. Honestly, Kogami had been in love with Akane for a very long time, and was used to burying his feelings. However, since he hadn't seen her in so long, he wasn't able to keep himself from acting on them as well as he used to.

This resulted with him fucking up and almost kissing Akane in the middle hallway. But damn him, he could've sworn that Akane looked s little disappointed when he had pulled away from her...

Shaking is head in an attempt to get his mind out of the gutter, Kogami lit a cigarette and turned to look expectantly at Ginoza. "Do you have any advice that you could give me?" he asked his old friend.

Ginoza shook his head. "No, but if you hurt her, you mangy mutt, you'll have to deal with me," he said in a teasing tone that just barely masked his threat.

Kogami sighed.  He was getting nowhere with this.  How could his friend be so fucking useless?  Well, there was nothing he could do about that.  He should've known better then to ask Ginoza.  On the other hand, if he asked Shion for advice, there would be no guarantee that she wouldn't "accidentally" blab his secret to Akane. He wouldn't put it past her to make an executive decision like that would end up screwing him.  Still, he decided that it was worth the risk, since Ginoza was obviously useless.

****Akane's POV***

Despite the fact that she had been looking everywhere for them, Kogami and Ginoza seemed to had disappeared. Disappointed, she decided to go visit Shion and ask her for advice on Kogami. Of course, this was a bit of a risk on her part, since she wasn't sure that Shion would keep her secret, but she decided that Shion's advice would probably worth it.

Shion didn't even turn around when Akane opened up the door to her lab. "You're here to talk about Kogami, am I right?" she asked.  Smiling softly, Akane joined her on the coach. 

Of course, who else would I be here to talk about?"Akane replied.

"Well, for starters, maybe to guy who's behind all of these disappearances," Shion pointed out.

Akane had to agree to that, and she secretly felt a little guilty that she had been so wrapped up in her own problems that she had momentarily forgotten about the case. Still, she hadn't come to Shion to discuss the case, and taking a deep breath, she braced herself and asked her first question, "Do you think that Kogami hates me?"

Shion's reaction was definitely not what Akane had been expecting.  She was doubled over laughing as if Akane had just said a stupid joke.  "Now why... would you think that?" she gasped.

Akane sighed, then told Shion how Kogami seemed to be distancing himself from her, and about what happened earlier in the hallway after she had run into him.

Shion shook her head in disbelief.  Who would've thought that Shinya could be so forward?  And even more confusing was the fact that Akane was so dense not to realize it!  If left to their own devices, their potential relationship was doomed never to even start, and all because Akane and Kogami were so dense that they'd only misinterpret any possible advances from the other person.

Luckily for them, they had Shion to sort out their feelings for them. And she was nothing if not a hopeless romantic. She couldn't wait until she got them to be a couple...

Shion was pulled back to reality by the concerned look on Akane's face. Chucking, she assured Akane that everything was ok, before sending her on her merry way. Shion had her work cut out for her, but if there was one thing (other than sex ) that she loved, it was meddling in other people's love lives, and this was the perfect opportunity to do so.

***Kogami's POV***

Having made up his mind to ask Shion for advice, Kogami quickly extinguished his cigarette and went to her lab.  As he opened up the door, he almost ran into Akane who was just leaving.  Before he could even ask her if she had found any new leads, she mumbled an apology and ran off. 

Kogami knew that Akane was hiding something from him, and even though he hated to admit it to himself, it was probably that she hated him.  The sad thing was, he couldn't even blame her because had disappeared from her three times already. Even he couldn't really forgive himself for doing that to her, so there was no way for him to ask that of her.

Still, a little part of him still hoped that Akane still cared for him.  For that very reason he was now sitting in front of Shion and baring his soul to her.

After a thoughtful pause once he had finished talking, Shion told him," Well, I promise you that Akane definitely doesn't hate you; she couldn't even if she tried, and believe me, she has."

"But you should definitely go talk to her and apologize," she continued," after all, she might be thinking that you hate her since you've disappeared on her so many times without saying a word."

Kogami winced at the accusations, though he was thankful for Shion's honesty. At least he knew that Akane didn't hate him, that was a start. Determined to go apologize to Akane, he thanked Shion and quickly left the lab.

***Shion***

As she watched Kogami walk away, she quietly chuckled to herself. This was definitely going to be fun.