Apologies

Sorry guys for the wait. It's been kinda crazy with me right now because my family is sick and I just had fall break, and a practice ACT.... I hope you enjoy my story! :)
Also, just FYI, this is the chapter were Kogami apologizes to Akane, so it has a ton of dialogue, and I'm sorry for it being short.

___________________________

Finding Akane proved a more difficult task than Kogami had initially anticipated. It was clear to him that Akane had changed a lot while he had been away. This realization filled him with remorse, but it wasn't as if dwelling on his past screw-ups was going to change anything.  No, instead of dwelling in the past, he was going to make it up to Akane.

However, after a couple hours of searching, Kogami was forced to give up.  Sighing, he went to the balcony to smoke a cigarette and clear his mind. Much to his surprise, there was someone already there. Because it was dark out, he couldn't tell who it was, so he decided to not intrude on their privacy.

As he was turning around to leave, a gentle voice called out yo him and said," You don't have to go, I was just about to leave anyways."

Surprised, Kogami quickly turned around, and came face to face with Akane Tsunemori.

"Actually, I was looking for you," Kogami finally managed to say after getting over his initial shock a little. "I wanted to apologize."

Confused, Akane asked,"What for? Did you do something wrong?"

Kogami shook his head. "No, what I'm trying to say is that I'm sorry for disappearing all those times. I promise that I'll never do that to you again. I know that you probably never wanted to see my face again, and I know that I'm asking for a lot, but could you please forgive me?"

Akane sighed and looked up at him. "I've already forgiven you a long time ago," she told him. "But now I should really get going."

As she walked past him, Kogami grabbed her arm, but then immediately dropped it without a word when Akane turned to ask him what was the matter. The next thing he knew, he alone on the balcony, cursing himself for ever letting Akane go.

***Akane's POV***

Akane managed to hold back her tears through sheer willpower until she got home.  But the moment that she crossed the threshold, it was as if the dam that she had been holding back her feelings with, broke.  And once the tears started, she couldn't stop them.

"Why fid Kogami apologize to me?" she wondered, feeling more conflicted than ever. Of course, she had forgiven him a long time ago, but she had never expected him to say "I'm sorry" to her.

In fact, those two little words were so unexpected that they had managed to rip a hole in the barrier that she had built around her heart over the years of being an Inspector, taking her right back to being the heartbroken girl that she once had been.

Finally after a while, Akane was able to cry herself to sleep, and despite herself wish that Kogami was there with her.