Panem

By 4:00, the body was identified as a Jane Doe, and school was canceled for the next few days. For obvious reasons. The shaking was defined as aftershocks of an earthquake in LA. Apparently a really big one.

I hop on my bike to go to the toll bridge me and Keiran's meeting spots for years.

I get there and plop on top of the bridge hanging my feet over the side of the railing.

At 4:30 exactly, because Keiran has never been late a day in his life he arrives.

"Emmelin-" He starts.

"We are going to Noah's."

"The geeky kid?" He asks.

"He thinks that there is more than what these murders seem to be." I sigh. "Frankly I agree with him. That boy I-I feel like I knew him. Do you think I am crazy."

"No, I don't. That girl I knew her I swear I did."

"Really." I say shocked and step forward.

"Yeah. Yeah, something weird is going on here."

Thank god Keiran thinks that too, I felt crazy.

"Come on, Noah emailed me his address."

"Em." I turn back. "Wha-what do you think is going on here." He seems genuinely scared.

"I honestly have no ideas."

"That's a first." He jokes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

We get to Noah's house at 5:03. It's small but has about every light on. With a murderer at large I don't blame him.

I knock on the door, Noah answers quickly. "Come in."

"Hi Emmiline, glad you haven't been killed off yet, Thanks. I am good too thanks, Oh no problem." I say mocking him.

"Good you brought the idiot."

"Hey." Kerian says defensively.

"Don't worry Em you won't be killed off until we leave here." He says viciously typing in something on a Computer.

I look at Kerian. " What do you mean."

He flicks off his glasses and pulls off his baggy sweatshirt. I never really looked at Noah but he is actually really tall, really old, and chiseled.

"Umm." Is all I can say.

"Hi, I am FInnick. I am from Panem which is a real place and is in real trouble. You both are from there, But got sent here, that's why you have so few memories. Emmeline I know your brother, and Kerian, I am your cousin." He says it in a deeper voice that is definitely not how Noah sounded.

"Your like 30." Kerian says. "I though you were 18."

"That is not what is important, right now." He says. "Emmeline, are you okay."

"Wh-wh-what does this have to do with the mu-" He stops me.

"Em, the bodies are from Panem. Before I was put here, we tried to stop it but we just made it worse. My friends, your family, they are all in danger."

"I hack, I don't fight...What did you try to stop?" I ask.

Noa-Finnick motions us towards his coach.

Then he tells us everything;

Long ago there was a revolution after that, the government created the Hunger Games to keep everyone in check. Every year 24 kids were sent to death, one lived. All that long time ago, Bodies were put here and then some how all of them started regenerating after. Basically all the dead lived, because you can't die in a town that literally never happened. Me and Kerian, died in one of the Hunger Games. But kept living because of Aldrie. A revolution started and we almost won but Finnick died, he was sent here to rot and decompose. But he didn't. And somehow he remembered. But now the killing is back so the Hunger Games is back so we have to save Panem and our families.

"I feel like I remember this faintly." I say, Kerian next to me nods.

"When we cross the town border it will all come back and we will be back in Panem." Finnick says.

"When will we leave?" Kerian asks.

"Now, of course." Finnick says.

"What, but Sheriff Crane. He has us all on curfew." I say.

FInnick stands. "I've beaten Seneca before."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Finnick sits me down and stares at me for a second.

"Umm... Finnick I am not hacking into the police!" I say matter-of-factly. I don't want to go to jail. Plus with a 'murderer' at large, I could get pegged as a suspect. 

"In less than an hour we won't even be here." I sigh.

With a few quick taps I am through the firewall. I look to Finnick. 

"Disable all of the surveillance cameras." I turn back to the computer.

I didn't know that there were cameras all over Aldrie but, they are everywhere. 

I quickly tap off all the cameras and Finnick nods satisfied.

"And off we go." He says turning towards the door.

"You're eager." I say walking towards him. 

"Yeah! Finally I am going home." He smiles.

Who knows maybe this Panem place will finally do the same for me. Maybe, I will be home for once in my life.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
We bike with Finnick to the edge off town.

He walks towards the line, then looks back, "Coming?" He asks.

"What about everyone else." I think of Juliet, she has been my best friend for so long I can't just leave her. 

"Emmeline it's gonna be hard for you to grasp the fact that-" he pauses. "These people they are all dead. And a lot of them are from the Capitol they aren't good. Juliet won't remember you once you cross the town line. No one will remember Emmeline, Keiran, and Noah."

"Bu-but" Keiran grabs my hand.

"Come on, it's gonna be okay."

"Okay."

I grab on to Finnick's hand and take a breath.

"Together?"  I ask.

"Together." Finnick says.

Keiran squeezes my hand. "On three"

"One." I am not ready, what about Jules and Nate and Becca and everyone. 

"Two." They are dead. They are dead. They are dead, dead, dead, dead!

"Three" I say and step over the town line.