Behind the Mask

I rush back to were Katniss and Peeta will be, my mind in a jumble.

How can he be the killer!

I bust into their room "Leaving.Now.Killer.Hurry." By the time I finish catching my breath they are at the door ready to go.

"Em, get Kerian we will find Annie and Finnick."

A girl with a shaved head comes out from around the corner.

"Johanna?" I ask, I only knew her from the her being a victor.

"Yeah, didn't you di-"

"Now is not the time, killer on the loose come with me."

I run to where Kerian is staying and go into his room.

"Kerian the assassin he is here."

"How do you know it is a he." He slowly gets out of bed. "Did you see him."

"I met him I know who he is! Come on!" He puts his shoes on quickly and we run out the door.

Katniss, Peeta, Finnick, Annie, and Johanna wait outside.

"This is everyone, the main people who started the rebellion, he will follow us, we can lure him into a trap." Peeta says.

"Yeah,yeah, just come on." I lead them into the deep woods.

We run forever, our skilled feet being as silent as possible. We all stop dead in our tracks when there is a loud crack out in the distance.

We stand still. I point to the other direction and wait for everyone to run and get away from whatever is in front of us.

"Come on." Kerian whispers in my ear.

Then came the blood curtailing scream.

We run over to where it came from.

Katniss is in the arms of him, With a knife to her throat.

"Stop." I yell.

"Why should I."

"Because, you know Katniss, you love her. You fought with her." I look to Kerian, he knows what to do. "Deep down you know this is wrong, you know that this isn't who you are. You are a rebel, you were once at least. You stood up against the Capitol. If you kill her you have six very unhappy tributes on you hands and you can't take us all out."

"I don't remember any of that." His eyes soften.

"You really should have." I say.

Then he seized up and falls to the ground. Kerian stands behind him with a knife.

Katniss runs over to Peeta and into his arms.

"Emmeline who was that?"  Katniss asks.

I walk over and look sadly at Katniss.

"Gale Hawthorne."