Chapter 44

The sun hides behind the trees, making everything darker and colder. I use that fact as a mental excuse for me to wiggle closer to Rose.

She takes her hand away from mine and at first I'm slightly terrified, thinking I did something wrong. But then she wraps her arm around me, pulling me even closer.

"I brought dessert for us to eat." Rose murmurs and my mind immediately goes straight to the gutter. I have been reading way too much fanfiction. Lies and slander, you can never read too much.

"What is it?"

"I may have brought many things." She looks sheepish, as though more dessert is a bad thing. "I have soda, Skittles, Starbursts, and popcorn that might still be warm but it probably isn't." I stare at her, somehow not even noticing how close our faces are. She squirms, "What?"

"How the hell are you so perfect?"

She not only brings me my two favorite candies, but also my favorite food (popcorn is delicious I will fight you on this) and soda.

I'm very glad that the sun is still up, if only barely because I get to see the light blush painting her cheeks.

She pulls out the rest of the food and I gasp excitedly.

"You even got Dr. Pepper? Dude!"

I'm not great with words and any attempt at vocalizing my gratitude would end horribly. So I press a kiss to her cheek, whispering thank you.

"You're welcome. I remembered you only drinking Dr. Pepper when we had all that homework."

"Oh that was awful. Who assigns an entire essay and tells us it's due tomorrow? A demon in disguise. One of those ones that feed off of pain and misery."

Rose laughs and it's such a beautiful sound that I just have to stop for a second and listen with a dorky grin on my face.

"Why is she even a teacher? She's never happy and only complains about students and how bad 'kids these days' are."

I nod, "I have never once seen her smile. And she complains about us talking so much, which I don't get. She takes up half the hour anyways telling us to hush and talking about the old days. My question is does she expect us to be silent? Because if you stick thirty people in a room, even if they're not teenagers, they're going to talk."

"Plus, when she was a kid the Egyptians were building the pyramids. I don't know how she's still teaching and hasn't retired yet."

I snort at the implication that she's thousands of years old. "If she's that old, is she a vampire?"

"No, she would be an insult to vampire kind and they'd kill her. Plus, if she were a vampire we could smell it."

I pause. "Vampires are real?"

"Yeah. So are werewolves, in case you didn't know." Rose teases and I nudge her.

"That is awesome."

"And that is the best response I've ever received. Usually people deny it, or run away. Someone once fainted. It would've been funny if it weren't incredibly scary to see someone just drop to the ground. They were out cold."

"Ouch. Who was it?"

"Dakota."

I giggle at the thought of them dramatically passing out. Though I know it would've been terrifying at the time, knowing they actually fainted after learning vampires are real is a little funny. But I have a slightly morbid sense of humor.

I lean my head against Rose's shoulder, smiling as we watch the sun set behind the trees.