CHAPTER FOUR: CHARLIE

"Hi there! What's your name?" I ask with a friendly smile and my pen hovering over the front page of my book. The girl I'm talking to is starry-eyed and smiling so wide I can almost see every one of her multicoloured braces.

"Cara," she says, but it comes out more like a giggle than a name. "Everland is my favourite book! And Toby is my top book boyfriend!"

"That's awesome!" I wink at her and start writing a sweet little note in Cara's book, adding my autograph at the bottom. A bright flash of light takes me by surprise, and I look up to see Cara holding her phone up, taking a selfie with me. I look at the camera, smiling just in time for the second flash to go off.

"Here you go, Cara," I say as I hand her the book. "Thanks so much for coming!"

Cara looks like she is about to explode into a burst of confetti and fireworks. She hesitates, like she wants to ask something. And then she just lets it blurt out: "Are you and Jason back together?"

My heart stops.

It begins.

I swallow hard, all-too-aware that Cara—and Mandy and a few other girls within earshot—are watching me, waiting eagerly for my answer.

"No, but we're still good friends!" I say with my realest fake smile.

Cara gasps. She looks so happy, and it's hard for me to watch. "If you do get back together, will you get married?"

I have to stop myself from gagging. "Oh," I laugh awkwardly. "No, we're just friends. Definitely no wedding bells. Besides, I'm only eighteen! I don't even know if I want to get married."

Cara opens her mouth to ask another question, but I have to stop the madness before it becomes too much. "Thanks so much for coming, Cara!"

Cara grins before walking away in a daze.

I feel a tap on my shoulder and turn around to see Alex looking down at me. "Five more minutes, then we have to go. You've got three interviews for The Rising and the cosplay contest before you're done for the day."

I nod, but I can't help but feel guilty. I lean on my elbow to scan the line of people wanting their books and merchandise signed. There has to be at least one hundred people still waiting excitedly. This is the first time I've ever done a fan event and I don't want to disappoint anyone.

I look up at Alex, who is eyeing me knowingly. She sighs and pulls out her phone. "Okay, I'll let them know we need to push it back another thirty minutes. But that's it!"

I give her a grateful grin. "Thanks, Al!"

Mandy waves the next person forward. This girl is around the same age as me, with jet-black hair tied into a long braid and bright red lipstick.

"Hi!" I say.

"Hi," the girl says, her lips twitching. "I'm such a huge fan! I've seen all your videos and I love your book! And I'm going to see The Rising tonight, I can't wait!" She's speaking so fast I can hardly keep up.

"Wow!" I beam as I take her book to sign. "Thank you so much for all your support. I'm so glad you like my book! What's your name?"

The girl doesn't answer. She's not even looking at me anymore. Instead, she's looking up, way over my head. Her mouth is hanging open in shock. "Is that ... Jason Ryan?"

My stomach drops to the floor.

No.

I really hope the girl is mistaken, but then the others in line behind her start to squeal. Scream. Cry.