CHAPTER TWENTY-FOUR: CHARLIE

I wake up with Alyssa wrapped around me, her lips softly kissing my back as the sun peeks in behind the curtains. If there was one word to describe this moment, it would be softness. Cuddled together under the marshmallowy soft blankets, our heads sharing one cloud-like pillow.

I've always been non-stop.

Ever since I was a kid, I hated standing still, sitting still, waiting still.

I'm high energy, constantly on the go, moving from one place to another and chasing the next exciting moment.

But right now, for the first time in my life, all I want is to be still. I wish this was a video game that I could pause, and just live right here forever.

I never thought this would happen to me; that I would find this part of me that craves stillness, that appreciates quiet, and lives in the now without thinking about the next.

What is happening here? What is this magic?

I roll over to face her.

Her eyes are closed, our noses are almost touching.

I lay still, watching her breathe like it's the most miraculous thing I've ever seen.

This girl.

This girl who talks about art and science and technology like they're her lovers.

This girl who is kind, confident, smart and open-hearted.

Last night.

Last night that was fun, free and full of expression and ecstasy.

I felt vulnerable, yet safe. Exposed, yet in control.

This moment.

This moment that is entirely ours and no one else's.

This, right here in-between the silk sheets, our legs intertwined, is sacred.

In the very public lives we live, full of illusions and drama and movement, this is private, uncomplicated and still.

This is real.

Joy rises from somewhere deep inside me, and shows itself as a giddy smile.

All I want to do is jump up and down on the bed and laugh and scream and dance because I'm just so happy.

But I can't tear my eyes away from her, so I just lay here with her, smiling like an idiot while she sleeps.

And soon, my lashes fall and I drift back into sleep by her side.

Some time later, I'm woken up by the sound of Shake It Off, T-Swift filling the room with her killer tunes.

Alyssa leans out of bed and turns the music off, then rolls over with a groan. "Sorry," she says with a yawn. "That's my alarm."

"You like Taylor Swift?"

She raises an eyebrow. "Doesn't everyone?"

"Yes. Yes they do."

She sits up on her elbow and gives me a crooked grin. "Good morning."

I notice she has the cutest little dimple on her cheek, and I sit up slightly to kiss it. My lips move from her cheek to her mouth, kissing her softly.

There's that word again: softly.

Soft and sweet and beautiful.

That's what this is.

I fall back onto the pillow, stretching my arms above my head. "Good morning."

She cuddles up to me, resting her head on my breast. Her eyes flutter up to mine, looking up at me, dark brown and speckled gold. "You want some breakfast in bed? I can order room service."