Aftermath- The End

Elise reclined in her throne, throwing her leg over the arm carelessly, showing her ownership. Elise filled the room with her presence alone, and even humans felt her raw power. She oozed regality. Elise presented herself like a queen.

No, Ivy thought angrily to herself, that's not Elise anymore. The act was not Elise, not at all. Elise wouldn't ever take up space just because she could. Elise would share, would offer someone else a seat. Elise wasn't a hog. This Elise was a bastardized version of something pure.

Ivy continued to think angry thoughts, even more upset that that was the only thing she could think since Elise had gone. She hated herself for it, more so because she knew Elise wouldn't want that. Elise wouldn't ever want her to go to such dark places. Sighing, Ivy turned around, not wanting to look at the imitation of Elise any longer.

"Don't you like looking at me, Ives?"

Ivy cringed at the petname. Ever since the Goddess took over Elise's body, she had wanted Ivy close. Ivy assumed it was because of the deal Elise- the real Elise- had made with Rayna before everything happened. But then... then she sometimes thought she saw a spark of the old Elise in those dark, dark eyes. Her hopeful nature thought Elise was trying to keep her safe, even when the Goddess was present.

"Look at me, Ives, honey."

"Don't you have some man to filet?" Ivy snarled. She knew she could snap anytime she wanted- the Goddess never reprimanded her, never punished her, no matter how flippant she became. That, too, was one thing that made her think Elise was still inside.

"Not yet. I want to spend some time with you."

Biting her inner cheek, Ivy turned to face the Goddess, but kept her eyes to the ceiling. It was the only way she could handle her emotions. "Well, I don't want to spend time with you."

Those working around the throne room froze for a beat, then kept moving, pretending they hadn't heard. The Goddess wore a mask of indifference as she lifted herself from her throne oh so gracefully. She glided to Ivy's side and grabbed onto Ivy's waist, much too hard. "I know how you feel about my vessel," she almost moaned. "Unfortunately, I feel something slight towards you, too. Call it a virus. Elise, as you say, infected me with you." She blew into Ivy's ear and ignored the way Ivy cringed. "But I'm not her. I can give you what she couldn't..."

The first time the Goddess had suggested that, Ivy had flushed and considered it, truly considered it. Such intimacy was what she had wanted desperately with Elise. But then she felt shame at ever allowing herself to think of touching the Goddess that way. The Goddess wasn't Elise, and she couldn't give anything real.

"You've already heard my answer," Ivy said, pushing the Goddess away roughly without thinking twice. "Many times." Unfortunately, it had been many times. Over the course of a year, the Goddess had invited Ivy to her bed almost every night, sometimes in the morning too. It was difficult to decline at first, but as time passed, Ivy realized she didn't want any part of the imposter. Elise had charm and kindness. The Goddess had... disguised force.

"Fine," the Goddess growled, lips turning downward. She loathed being rejected, more so by the one woman she was stupidly craving to have. She smacked a maid away when she tried to approach and spun around in a huff. "I'll go to bed then. Alone." She marched out of the throne room and out to the hall, and doors somewhere far off slammed so hard the noise was heard even from where Ivy was and vibrations rippled through the floors.

Ivy let out a breath then turned to help the maid the Goddess had struck. The girl was new, someone Ivy had never seen before. Maids were often replaced for no other reason than the Goddess wanted new faces to look at. "I'm sorry about that."