Chapter Eighteen

Two weeks before the end of the term, the sky lightened suddenly to a dazzling white and the muddy grounds were revealed one morning covered in glittering frost.

My mood shot up. Christmas was in the air.

Some random teacher, who apparently taught Arithmancy, had begun skipping around the halls singing "I saw mummy kissing Santa Claus." Which a muggle-born student had taught them. They also sang wizarding carols "Flying home for Christmas." I had never heard it before, but it was awful. At least the way he sang it was anyway.

Professor Flitwick had already decorated his classroom with shimmering lights that turned out to be real, fluttering fairies. I squealed aloud as I looked at them, and then made Flitwick turn a deep shade of scarlet as I complimented him on them.

Everyone was happily discussing their plans for the holidays.

I was staying Hogwarts - obviously - and so was Harry. Both Ron and Hermione had decided to remain at Hogwarts, and though Ron said it was because he couldn't stand two weeks with Percy, and Hermione insisted she needed to use the library, Harry and I weren't fooled; they were doing it to keep us company, and we were very grateful.

To everyone's delight except Harry and mine, there was to be another Hogsmeade trip on the very last weekend of the term.

"We can do all our Christmas shopping there!" said Hermione. "Mum and Dad would really love those Toothflossing Stringmints from Honeydukes!"

I think her parents were dentists...people who worked with teeth.

On the Saturday morning of the Hogsmeade trip, Harry and I bid good-bye to Ron and Hermione, who were wrapped in cloaks and scarves, then turned up the marble staircase, and headed back toward Gryffindor Tower. Snow had started to fall outside the windows, and the castle was very still and quiet.

"Willow!" Called an all too familiar voice.

"Hello Professor McGonagall!" I chirped at her.

"The headmaster has given permission for you to go to Hogsmeade. You should consider yourself very lucky." She said in a very serious tone.

"Thanks Professor." I said softly. I couldn't leave Harry now. It was slack.

McGonagall turned on her heel and left.

"Go." Harry told me.

"Nah, I don't-" I started a lie.

"Psst - You two!"

We turned, halfway along the third-floor corridor, to see Fred and George peering out at us from behind a statue of a humpbacked, one-eyed witch.

"What are you doing?" said Harry curiously. "How come you're not going to Hogsmeade?"

"We've come to give you a bit of festive cheer before we go," said Fred, with a mysterious wink. "Come in here..."

He nodded toward an empty classroom to the left of the one-eyed statue. Harry and I followed Fred and George inside. George closed the door quietly and then turned, beaming, to look at the pair of us.

"Early Christmas present for you two," he said.

Fred pulled something from inside his cloak with a flourish and laid it on one of the desks. It was a large, square, very worn piece of parchment with nothing written on it.

"Wow. Shit man! That's amazing!" I said in mock astonishment.

"You might laugh now Willow, you might laugh now." Fred said dramatically

"What's that supposed to be?"Harry's eyebrows were raised.

"This, Harry, is the secret of our success," said George, patting the parchment fondly.