Chaptet Twenty Six

The euphoria at finally winning the Quidditch Cup lasted at least a week. Even the weather seemed to be celebrating; as June approached, the days became cloudless and sultry, and all anybody felt like doing was strolling onto the grounds and flopping down on the grass with several pints of iced pumpkin juice, perhaps playing a casual game of Gobstones or watching the giant squid propel itself dreamily across the surface of the lake.

But, sadly, we couldn't. Exams were nearly upon us and instead of lazing around outside, we were forced to remain inside the castle, trying to bully our brains into concentrating while enticing wafts of summer air drifted in through the windows. I was going to have some sort of mental breakdown, true story. Even Fred and the smex - ahem, I meant George - had been spotted working; they were about to take their O.W.L.s (Ordinary Wizarding Levels). Percy was getting ready to take his N.E.W.T.s (Nastily Exhausting Wizarding Tests), the highest qualification Hogwarts offered. As Percy hoped to enter the Ministry of Magic, he needed top grades. He was becoming increasingly edgy, and gave very severe punishments to anybody who disturbed the quiet of the common room in the evenings. For being a psycho, I was forced to be quiet. I tried to refute the ideas of speaking banishment, but then Percy told me to shut up for three hours for arguing with a head boy. Hardest three hours of my life. That also happened to be the three hours that the twins gave up on working and I could only communicate via interpretive dance. That was pretty fun.

The only person who seemed more anxious than Percy was Hermione.

I had given up asking her how she was managing to attend several classes at once, but couldn't restrain myself when I saw the exam schedule she had drawn up for herself. The first column read:

Monday

9 o'clock, Arithmancy

9 o'clock, Transfiguration

Lunch

1 o'clock, Charms

1 o'clock, Ancient Runes

I was about to say something about it, but Ron spoke first.

"Hermione? Er -- are you sure you've copied down these times right?"

"What?" snapped Hermione, picking up the exam schedule and examining it. "Yes, of course I have."

"Is there any point asking how you're going to sit for two exams at once?" said Harry.

"No," said Hermione shortly. "Have you seen my copy of Numerology and Gramatica?"

"Oh, yeah, I borrowed it for a bit of bedtime reading," said Ron, but very quietly. Hermione started shifting heaps of parchment around her table, looking for the book. Just then there was a rustle at the window and Hedwig fluttered through it, a note clutched tightly in her beak.

"It's from Hagrid," said Harry as he tore it open. "Buckbeaks appeal - it's set for the sixth."

"I can never say sixith. No sixteth. No. Six-"I continued this for a while.

"That's the day we finish our exams." Hermione informed us as she was still looking for her book. Hermione nudged me to make me help her look. I picked up a large volume that read 'ngjfhnh4iu' ha, I mean it was written in ancient rune. I am laughing at my own jokes in my head, and I thought I couldn't get sadder.

"And their coming up here to do it." Said Harry as he skimmed the letter. "Someone from the ministry and -and an executioner." I dropped Hermione's heavy book on my foot in surprise, but I tried not to show that it hurt. My foot was killing me but I didn't want to seem like I didn't care for Hagrid and Beaky. So, because my eyes are watering, I'm gonna look like I'm crying.