Names

Scarlet and Wolf have a little chat about names.

-

Well, it was now or never.

"My real name is Ze'ev Kesley," Wolf mumbled. "When I was younger, before I joined the Lunar Special Operatives, people called me Z."

Scarlet sat next to him. It was a hot summer afternoon, and they were lounging in the shade of the tall cornstalks of Benoit farms. She smiled deviously. "A weird Lunar name, huh? I don't know what I was expecting."

Wolf laughed, whole-hearted, fangs and all. It felt good. "Well, to be fair, Scarlet seems like a pretty weird name to me."

"Really?" she asked, her brown eyes glinting with curiosity.

"It's a color, the color of your hair nonetheless. Why would you name your kid that?"

"Winter's a season," Scarlet countered.

Wolf chuckled again. "Wasn't my idea."

"What about Ran, that's a verb."

Wolf frowned, and Scarlet
realized what she had said too late. "Sorry," she mumbled.

"No, it's okay," Wolf said. "Ran is a pretty weird name."

Scarlet looked relieved, and was quick to change the subject. "Does Ze'ev mean anything?" Wolf let out a long, comical sigh. Scarlet blinked. "What?"

"It means ..." Wolf shook his head, smiling. "It means wolf in Hebrew." Scarlet laughed.

"Wow, that's sad. I thought my name was uncreative."

"I wasn't like this from birth, you know."

Scarlet was silent for a moment. "Maybe ..." she began cautiously. "Maybe they were planning to give you to the lunar army all along."

Wolf frowned and turned away. "Maybe," he mumbled. Scarlet cursed herself, but then Wolf turned back to her with a devious smile that made her heart flutter. "What about Cinder, huh? They weren't even trying with that one."

Scarlet laughed, and tackled Wolf, planting a kiss on his lips.