Taming the Beast

Wolf is being difficult, and Scarlet has to deal with it.

-

The wind howled like a ravenous pack of wolves, sending shivers up Scarlet's spine. She drew her blanket tighter around herself.

He had to be here somewhere.

She trudged up a small hill, the wet mud sucking at her boots. The full moon blazed in the sky like a coin. It's light made the trees glint silver.

He'd been going out every full moon.

She peered into the tree line, searching for any movement. A flash of shadow, the glint of fangs, but she saw nothing. Suddenly, a blood-curdling howl ripped through the silent night. The hair on Scarlet's arms stood on end.

Wolf, but not just any wolf.

Scarlet crouched low to the ground as the howling faded. She listened closely, but heard nothing except the leaves rustling in the night breeze and a quartet of chirping crickets.

She got desperate. "Wolf!" she called, gritting her teeth. "Wolf!" No answer. She half-walked half-slid down the dewy hillside, and ventured into the trees.

Immediately, bright green eyes flashed in the shadows. Scarlet halted mid-step. The eyes disappeared. "Wolf!" she called again. "Stop this! Come home!"

Wolf didn't listen.

A deep, sonorous growl send a chill down Scarlet's spine, and Wolf emerged from the trees.

He was hunched over on all fours, crawling towards her, fangs bared and fingers curled. His face was strewn with hash mark cuts, and his right arm bled from a huge gash. This didn't seem to bother him, he prowled closer, circling Scarlet like she was a tasty appetizer.

Scarlet gulped.

"Wolf," she said, her voice shaky. She cleared her throat and spoke clearly. "Stop this. Now." Wolf just sneered, his eyes glinting with amusement.

"You are helpless," he said, his voice raspy and almost inhuman. "Tonight I will feast on your flesh." His muscles tensed, like he was going to pounce. Scarlet shut her eyes tight and turned away, bracing herself, but Wolf didn't jump. She looked back, to see him wearing a confused expression on his face.

He furrowed his eyebrows, and for a moment, Scarlet could see the real Wolf, the way he looked when Scarlet had tried to teach him how to cook tomato soup. She would have laughed now, if she wasn't terrified.

Immediately, though, his face hardened again, and he growled. Though he seemed hesitant. "You-you will die," he stammered, his voice snagging on the last word.

Scarlet crouched, holding her blanket tight around her with one hand and holding out the other. "Wolf ..." she pleaded, beckoning him. "Please."

He reached out for her, then shook his head, grunting like a dog being annoyed by a fly.

It was an odd sight, like Wolf was having a silent argument with himself. He'd reach for her hand, their fingertips almost touching, then reel back, leaving Scarlet cold.

Finally, she couldn't take it anymore. When he got close, she grabbed his hand and pulled him into an embrace. At first he fidgeted, clawing at her, but she held tight, and soon he went limp in her arms.

He stirred, like he'd just woken up.

"Wha--? Scarlet?" She shushed him, smoothing down his hair. He was silent for a while, until he finally said, "Scarlet, I'm bleeding."

"Shush, you'll ruin the moment."