Chapter 21: Kai

The dreams had continued, for the past week--never the same thing. But always, he knew one thing: His name was Kai, and he was an emperor.

Of course, this was so different from what was actually real, that A-1, at first, had found it ridiculous. Just the wishes of a life, compiled into something that was simply a remnant. The dreams didn't make any sense.

But over time, even he had to admit they did. How could he keep having these dreams, with the same name every time, with the same people, being the same person? How was that possible?

He was jolted out of his thoughts by a shove from behind, the wind knocked out of his lungs. A-1 was bowled over to the ground, and he reached out a hand to steady himself before he came into contact with the dirt. He staggered to a stand, spitting angrily. "What do you think you're doing?"

The dark figure in front of him didn't flinch. A-1 felt a cold sensation creep through the air, and he jabbed the man's chest accusingly. "Do you know who I am?" 

The man was wearing a black cloak, and he reached inside, pulling out a syringe and vial full of a clear liquid. A-1 stepped away sub-consciously. This man had a weapon. 

"What are you--" 

The figure lept, and A-1 ducked to the floor, rolling. His blood began to sing--this person was looking for a fight, and A-1 was well-trained. He reached out and grabbed the man's thick, muscled arm, twisting it around until the person was against his chest. The figure put up an insistent fight, clubbing A-1's head several times as he was holding him. "Who do you think you are?"

The man didn't reply, kicking out in a frenzied motion. Whatever composure he had had before, it was all gone now. A-1 had him. 

He shoved the man against the ground, pinning him down against his cloak with a smirk. "Don't try struggling now. Who are you?"

"Never--tell an enemy who you are," the man replied, still struggling. His voice was a young one, and rumbled with a dark undertone. A-1 felt a prickle of unease. 

He whipped off the cloak, exposing the man's head. There was another hood underneath that--this person, whoever it was, had wanted to stay inconspicuous. He swiped that one off too, and stared in silent wonder at the person before him. 

The person who had been in his dreams. 

"Wolf?"