(3) The Girl

Chapter 3

I knew that I would make it on time to my date if I got ready within in 20 minutes, so that I could walk down to the café to meet with Kate. We did live near the river front after all, it wouldn't be too hard to get there in time... right?

Wrong. It took me just over half an hour to get ready, as I was too busy focusing on not wearing the 'liar bra' and searching for another black one that would go with what I had picked to wear. My outfit consisted of a loose black crop top and a floral skirt, with pink flats and I put my hair into a messy bun on top of my head. But for me, a messy bun took around 50 hair slides and 2 hair ties to get right, which meant it would probably be quicker to do a ballerina bun.

"Bye Sam, I'm not sure what time I'll be home but leave me some of whatever you make for dinner," I tell him as I walk towards the door of our apartment.

"Bye Gracie, don't get drunk have sex then have babies." He tells me, not looking up from his place on the sofa where he is watching some rubbish on TV.

"I don't plan on that, thanks. And you know I can't have babies..." I tell him then giggle, opening the door.

"Oh yeah your gay... sorry about that." He says, the sarcasm in his voice being elevated.

"I'm not sorry..." I say, grinning. I take a step out the door and look back at my best friend, "See you later!"

And with that, I close the door.

I end up speed walking down to the café, which by the way isn't even a café, it's a restaurant. I got there in time, with around 30 seconds to spare, and took a seat at an outdoor table, waiting patiently for Kate to arrive.

I'd met Kate a while back, a night when I was completely lost in San Francisco when me and Sam had only just moved in. We had just gone out for dinner and we couldn't find our way back home, Kate happened to be out in the same place with her friend Brit, so she gave us a ride home since we had decided to walk there in the first place using google maps, and both of our phones had died whilst being there... oops.

So once I started talking to Kate more, she happened to mention a past girlfriend, which was the indication that she was most definitely into girls, which I was happy about, obviously.

I don't sit for very long before I see the pretty girl heading around the corner, wearing a white batwing shirt and some fancy black trousers, she smiles as she spots me, and makes her way over and sits opposite me. Her dirty blonde hair is pulled into a loose bun at the bottom of her neck, and her hazel eyes bright in the sunlight.

"Grace! So nice to see you for our first time out together." She says and grins at me, and I grin back.

"I know! It's amazing, I never thought this would happen to be honest." I tell her and instantly blush, I'm not much of a flirter and I'm nervous as hell.

"Yeah me neither! But it's so awesome to finally come out with you." She says and smiles, and I pick up my menu.

"What looks good?" I ask, trying to read the French but I don't remember much from highschool.

"I have no clue, I was hoping you'd be able to tell me, I've never learnt French." Kate admits, giggling a little.

"Maybe we picked the wrong place to eat..." I tell her, and she smiles.

"Maybe so..." She grins then giggles again, and I do too.

I glance at the menu again, trying to make out what any of it means. "Well, the only thing I can read is red something or other with mushrooms."