Umbrella.

Grace peacefully sits in the window of the small, coffee shop. Observing people who pass by and listening to interesting conversations. She smiles as two lovers pass by, swooning over each other and laughing. Although she's never dreamed of being in a relationship herself, she loved the thought of loving someone unconditionally.

*

With his trusty umbrella in hand, Oswald walks through the mean streets of Gotham. Gazing up at how the sun reflects off the windows lined perfectly on the humble buildings, knowing they've seen so much. He doesn't pay much attention to people passing by, he never does. His eyes scan the shops and restaurants bustling with people of all kinds. He gets to one particular window and -- could it be? The girl that shone through the crowds like a shining beacon. His heart starts pounding, like it did on that rainy day. And he decided to do something he never thought he could do.

Oswald quietly pushed door open. He took a deep breath and stood, wavering for a few seconds before sitting one seat apart from the girl. Pleased with himself for doing this, he relaxed and rested his umbrella against the stool next to him. He sat contently for a few minutes, enjoying her silent company. Feeling his phone buzz in his pocket, he realized no one has heard from him in two days. Reluctantly, he got up and answered his phone once outside.

*

Who is he? Grace repeatedly thought to herself, scared to keep stealing glances at the strange man sitting next to her. He looks like someone straight out of the eighteen-hundreds! She thought to herself as she noticed him start to leave. As he walked out the door, she watched him, his every step. Wondering how he got that limp. When she couldn't see him anymore, she turned back to her coffee. Out of the corner of her eye, she noticed a black umbrella that wasn't there when she arrived. She quickly realized it was his, grabbed it, and ran out the door. With a smile on her face, she dogged people and objects as she swiftly ran through the crowds. Her hair flowing behind her as she flew. She spotted him perched against a light pole looking down at his phone. She proudly walked up to him, opened her mouth, and realized she was out of breath. Embarrassed, she started to laugh handing him his lost umbrella.

*

Oswald couldn't believe it, the girl he noticed in a sea of faces, the girl he admired the most was right here, laughing in front of him. He froze for a moment before taking his umbrella and smiling. He managed to stutter out a "Thank you." surprised at how soft his own voice was. "No problem!" she gleamed back at him. "I'm Grace." she retched her hand out. "Oswald." he replied shaking it, the contact gave him butterflies. Grace. He closed his eyes and smiled to himself. Grace.

-
Hello! I hope you liked this part! It was a bit short but I promise there's more to come. I don't think I'll get to write today because I have choir practice at seven and I'm typing this on my phone in class.

Please, please, please comment feedback!