The Juvenile Assignment

Luke was in the driver's seat of the black jeep as evening was approaching. His chocolate brown eyes were trained on the road as Gabriel sat beside him playing navigator. All Gabriel had to do was relay the information the Maps app on his iPhone displayed, but the teen couldn't help but stir up conversation with questions and speculations.

"We'll be out before midnight, right?" he half asked, half stated as he ran his fingers through his hair, blending the blonde fore locks in with the rest of the russet that was finally starting to grow out the way he wanted. "I mean, how hard can this assignment be? Easiest three favors ever." Gabriel really needed them, so he did not hesitate to throw his hand up into the air when Kota asked for volunteers the day before.

"I don't know, man," Luke said. "We've never done this kind of job before. Even North looked concerned."

"North always looks concerned," Gabriel retorted.

A smile tugged on Luke's lips. Gabriel had a point. "Hear me out. I live with the guy. Sort of. This was more so than his usual look. He's done this sort of thing before. He knows we're walking into something more than what's in the file, and that makes me nervous."

"When the hell did North do this?" Gabriel asked incredulously. "He's the last person I'd expect to pull one of these jobs."

"Sometime last year," Luke answered. "Not for this bird, but he did it."

"Well, fuck me sideways. I didn't know he had it in him."

The jeep parked at the correct address stated in the file, a typical home that did not stand out from any of the others in the area. Side by side, they headed for the door.

"Any guesses to where she's going?" Luke asked quietly as his eyes scanned around their surroundings, making sure no one was paying attention to them.

Gabriel inspected the home's exterior and quickly analyzed any pertinent details that may factor into their mission as he answered. "No clue. Maybe a hot date."

"She's married," Luke said.

"A hot date with her husband?"

Luke shook his head, his long blonde hair bouncing about his shoulders. "He's deployed."

"Then fuck if I know," Gabriel answered as he reached forward and knocked on the door. "It's her business. Not all secrets are important."

Luke nodded. "They only look important because they're secret," he finished reciting the lesson Mr. Blackbourne taught them as part of their Academy training.

The door flung open, revealing a woman at least ten years older than the teens. As soon as she realized who they were, her expression relaxed from the stressed out state it was originally set in. "Oh, thank the gods. I knew I could count on y'all to be right on time." She stepped to the side and beckoned with her arm circling for them to enter the home. "Dinner is in the slow cooker, and you two are more than welcome to any snacks in the kitchen." As she spoke, she busied around the door, grabbing a purse to sling over her shoulder and shoving her feet into a pair of shoes. "All the important phone numbers are on the fridge."

She gave them no warning before she grabbed Gabriel by the head, stood up on her tippy toes to compensate for her shorter height, and assaulted him with a loud, smacking kiss on his cheek. Luke got the same treatment, leaving both boys standing still in shock, eyes wide and speechless.

"I freaking love you two. Good luck!" She flew out the door, closing it hastily behind her.

Luke and Gabriel looked at each other, flabbergasted.