Chapter 2, The Lot

I was sitting in the lot alone, thinkin about Cherry when out of nowhere Tim Shepard comes up to me. He looked real mad at me, he must've figured out I was the one who slashed his tires. "Hey Dallas, I got a bone to pick with you." all I could do was smirk "Do you now?" I couldn't think of anything to say to him. He went on rambling about how I slashed his tires and how expensive that car of his is, then after about 5 minutes of rambling he finally came to the conclusion of " Now you're gonna pay for what you did, punk." I replied with a quick "Come on man, just hit me already, I'm tired of hearing you talk." and he did just that, he took a good swing at my head but I ducked and punched him in the shoulder "come on man, you can do better than that, you fight like a 13 year old kid, man" he swung at my head again, but I was too busy laughing at my own joke to dodge it and he caught me in the eye "Now that's more like it" I said grinning. I hit him in the stomach making him cough, I gave him a small shove which knocked him down on the ground. He was up on his feet cursing at me as I smiled. He punched me in the ribs, probably breaking some of them, making me stumble back a little, but I pulled myself together and punched him in the eye, giving him a big shiner, I hit him a few more times in the gut before he ran off. I got hurt pretty bad and needed somewhere to sleep, so I walk over to my old rodeo pal Buck's place to get some sleep. I got there and all I could hear was loud country music and drunk people yelling. I knocked on the door and Buck answered, he could tell I had gotten beaten pretty bad, he lead me to a bedroom to lay down, I tried to get some sleep but there was far too much noise for me to sleep. About 20 minutes later Buck walks up to me and says "Hey, Johnny and uh...Ponyboy, are here, they are lookin for ya, they don't look so good bud." I looked at him worried "Alright, thanks man". I walked to the door to see Johnny and Pony, they looked like a couple of lost puppies. Ponyboy managed to get a few words out of his mouth, "Johnny killed a soc", I was shocked to hear that Johnnycake, little innocent Johnnycake, killed someone. I looked at Johnny surprised and somewhat proud of him and said "O.K, good for you kid, let's see what we can do about this mess." I still couldn't believe that Johnny killed a soc. I pulled them both in the house, when I grabbed Pony's shoulder I felt cold water on my hand "Ponyboy are you wet?" why was Pony soaking wet? It was probably raining. I took them up to the bedroom and had them both sit down. "Pony take that sweatshirt off, you'll freeze to death man", I dug around in Buck dresser and found a shirt for pony "here take this, it's Bucks, it's a little big on you, but it's dry" I pulled Johnny and Pony closer and told them to get on the 3:15 train to Windrixville, I told them to buy supplies and head for the old church on Jay Mountain, "I will be up there as soon as I think everything is cool" I showed them the door and wished them luck. Man, Johnny, the kid I think of as my little brother, killed a soc. How could someone so small and shy go and kill someone. I don't know, man, who can figure it?