Chapter 3, Finding The Boys

After Pony and Johnny left Buck would not quit asking me what they wanted, he knew something was wrong, I couldn't tell him what happened, he would get Johnny and Pony thrown in jail so fast, I just can't let that happen to my little Johnny. Buck still wouldn't shut up unless I told him something, so I told him "They uh... Johnny just missed me, that's all, he gets to missing me and nothing can stop him from seeing me, man" he just looked at me blankly and said "Okay, whatever you say Dal, I just don't understand how anyone could miss YOU that much" I just glared at him a little and went back upstairs to lay down. The next day I was sitting in the lot with Two-Bit, Soda, and Steve. Steve had brought some cards along and we were playing some poker, Soda, being the competitive person he is, puts down all his cigarettes in a bluff which makes me and Two-bit fold. Steve wasn't gonna let Soda bluff, so he called him out for it and Soda was not happy when Steve put down 3 aces and a 10. Soda tackled Steve and put him in a headlock. "Uncle?" Soda taunted him, Steve kept fighting back until a couple of cops came over to us, Soda dropped Steve so fast that he fell. "Dallas Winston, you're coming with us" the cops were after me, and I exactly why, they think I know something about the murder. "Alright" I said calmly, I looked back to see Soda and Two-Bit's worried faces "Imma be fine" I said as I hopped in the back of the cop car. They drove me to the station and asked me if I knew anything about the soc's murder "ya, man" i said "I know some stuff". They wouldn't leave me alone about it, asking me questions all the time, there was one they kept asking me "Where are the two headed?" I finally got tired of them asking me and I said "Fine, I'll tell ya, they're headed for Texas, man. That's all I know", they smiled and thanked me and let me go after a few more days of questioning. After they let me out I went to see all the guys at the Curtis house, they were all worried about me, but they were more worried about Pony and Johnny. Two-Bit and Soda were asking me where they were, but I wouldn't tell them, Soda didn't believe me when i told him i didn't know where they were. Two-Bit asked one of the cops that picked me up, and they told him that they were somewhere in Texas, man when Two-Bit heard that he nearly drove to Texas to look for them, but I stopped him. The next day I left to go find the boys, Soda stopped me and asked me where I was going, he knew I was finding the boys so he gave me a note and told me to give it to Pony when I find him. I went to Buck's and got his car. When I got to the church the boys were at I searched for the door and went inside. I found Johnny and Pony sleeping, I didn't recognise them at first, they both had cut their hair, and Pony bleached his, his hair kinda looked like mine now, almost white with no grease, man did he look funny. "Time to wake up blondie" I said as I nudged his chest with my foot, "Johnny wake up" I shook Johnny a little bit to wake him up. The boys were happy to see me and flooded me with questions, "Hey Dal, how are you?" "How's Soda? Is he upset?" "Whats going on with the fuzz? Are they after us?", I told them to slow down and asked them if they wanted some food, they perked right up at the thought of real food. I remembered the note Soda gave me "Hey, I have a note here for a uh... Ponyboy Curtis", Pony looked surprised "who's it from" he asked, I couldn't help but say "The president of the United States... It's from your brother, Sodapop". I handed it to him, as he read it Johnny asked me about the fuzz. "Are they after us?", Johnny and Pony both looked worried. Pny asked why I got hauled in, Soda must've said something in the note about it, "The guys down there know me by now, while I was down there they kinda beat it out of me that you guys were headed for Texas, man", I looked at Pony "look at this guy and his hair, man, blondie, man, god" he glared at me and said " I know I look lousy, but don't rub it in". After they got caught up with what was happening at home, I took them to lunch at a DQ. They must've been hungry, cuz Johnny ate 6 BBQ sandwiches, Pony ate 5, and they both had a sundae. I let them know about the rumble we are having with the socs, and how we got a spy, Johnny and Pony seemed confused "A spy? Who?" "That real cute broad i tried to pick up the night you guys wasted that kid, Cherry Whats-Her-Name", they seemed to know who I was talking about. I told them how she drove up when we were all in the lot in her little Sting Ray. I told them how she said they would testify that the socs were drunk and how they fought back strictly on self defence. Then out of nowhere Johnny says "we're going back to turn ourselves in", I didn't know if I heard him correctly at first, but unfortunately I did. I tried to convince him not to, but he just tried to convince me to let him. I got tired of being argued with, so I just let him win. I wouldn't have a problem with the whole idea of him going back if I knew he wouldn't go to jail, he had a slight chance of being thrown in the cooler. I just don't want to see my little Johnny turn mean, I know what a few months in jail does to a person, and I couldn't stand to see my little Johnnycake turn mean and bitter.