Six: Bofur (Part II)

Six: Bofur

Part Two

To think, after a near two years, that I am finally leaving my long term companions...that our journey as the Company of Thorin Oakenshield is over may just be the most joyous, yet sorrowing, occasion ever. Smaug the Terrible has been defeated. Azog has fallen at the hand of Thorin, following the death of Bolg by Kili, Fili, and Tauriel. It came as a miracle, really, that the three heirs survived the Battle of the Five Armies, and yet, we could not be more grateful.

And in the two months since the greatest war to hit this fortress, Erebor is on the rise, once again, with dwarves flocking to the gates and families reuniting. But at the same time, it marks a transition in our lives. The dwarves will move on in their distinct struggles, as Bilbo and I partake in our own. It's the end of our times together, yet the beginning of our new existence. Erebor is restored and I must away.

I find myself waiting at the gate, a conversing Bilbo and Balin near my side with a delay to our expected departure. We wish to part from the dwarves in friendship, and yet, neither of us can bear the pain of leaving with a final goodbye. It'd better be unexpected and unknown.

But that is all for naught as I am pulled behind a large column, hidden in the deep shadows of hearken rock, all to face the one dwarf of my misery, Bofur. His eyes exclaim the inner turmoil he feels, and yet, I hold no pity for him. He did break my heart, after all, and I will not let him see my own pain of departure.

"I'm sorry for my words, Lanie," Bofur apologizes, though for what instance, I am not sure. This dwarf seems to lack a filter when it comes to speaking, thoroughly offending me on multiple occasions in the past.

"What are you talking about?" I question, crossing my arms over my chest as I huff in his attention. I take a sly look around, in an attempt to escape, and yet, Bofur has me pinned into a corner.

"Back in Laketown..." he responds sadly and with slow words. I can see the guilt burning in his retinas, and yet, I will have no compassion. I am not the same hobbit as I once was: no more will I roll over to the forces of this world, and love more precisely.

"Oh, that," I remark bitterly, turning my face so I don't have to look at the hatted dwarf.

"I was drunk," Bofur explains, prompting me to scoff. Who does he think he is?

"That's no excuse for lacking propriety and compassion," I respond in a blunt and straightforward fashion. Bofur may be beating around the bush, but I hold myself to higher standards. I am a hobbit, and an honest one at that.

"Aye," Bofur remarks sadly, his own head tilting down to look at his feet.  Then there is a twinge in my heart at the sad sight, but I push it away with the reminder of my own pain.

"Do you even know how rejection feels?" I ask him in a harsh tone, watching as he goes to respond before I interrupt his thought process. "...And not ale's rejection!"

"...no," Bofur remarks sadly, prompting me to huff angrily. It is just as I expected, with the prancing dwarf trying to joke around with each and every emotion.

"Then let me tell you in your own words," I tell him, easily recalling the heart-wrenching conversation of many months ago. "'Rejection is like pan to the head with the sun's morning rise...rejection is cruel and cold.'"

"I said all that?" Bofur asks, his large brown eyes widening with the sheer rudeness of his words. And suddenly, that guilt of before takes hold of my own chest. He is truly sorry for his words...this is not a joke.

"Yes, you are Bofur after all," I respond, joking slightly. And though it is a tense conversation of finality, Bofur laughs loudly at this, his voice echoing off the walls of the great cavern. I giggle at his happy expression, our voices mixing together in the cold air of Ereborian winters.

"See this is nice," Bofur remarks, a smile coming to paint his face as we fall from our laughing fit.

"Aye, it is," I agree, letting silence overtake our figures as we stare heartily at one another, emotions spread, yet linked all the same.

"I would have reciprocated you know..." Bofur remarks, prompting me to unleash a small gasp before taking hold of my rampant and passionate emotions.

"Then why didn't you?" I ask, my large green eyes widening to the extent of my previous pain.

"I was drunk..." Bofur says, prompting me to scoff once more, yet with less bitterness in this instant.

"Once again, that's no excuse. And even so, drunkenness makes the mind weak and honesty more conversable. You obviously don't love me like I love you," I express, cringing at the fact that I just expressed my love for him, once more. To have your heart broken once is far more than enough, but twice is murderous.

"You still do?" Bofur questions, in reassurance of my words.

"...I still do," I relent, truly taking on my role as a truthful hobbit, much like Bilbo Baggins.

"Well in that case," Bofur remarks before leaning in and laying a soft yet chaste kiss on my lips. He pulls away before I can eagerly respond within my own passion.

"What?" I sputter, shocked at this radical turn of events. But at the same time, I'm not complaining as Bofur's hand wraps around my waist and I am pulled tightly into his chest.

"I love you too, my Lanie, and I'm sorry I didn't tell you back in Laketown," Bofur remarks, giving me a second to let it sink in. But as soon as it does, I press my lips fervently to his own, love overcoming us and wrapping us in his shadow. My hands tangle into the hair beneath his soft hat as his holds onto my neck and cheek.

"So you forgive me?" Bofur asks as he pulls away only to press his forehead against mine. I smile up at him, laughing in the slightest bit.

"How could I not, my tap-dancing, flute prancing fool?" I ask, his grin coming to match mine as he envelops me in a hug. And it is settled then, with our return from hiding and the other dwarves waiting. I will not leave Erebor ever again, my love at my side and his hand in mine. But it has little repercussion on Bilbo's plans, as he removes the bag from his back, only to be pulled into a hug by Thorin.

Maybe it isn't the end just yet...maybe it's the beginning of our future.  

~~~~~~~~~

~~~~~~~~~

I hope you enjoyed this chapter!  I'm sorry for the long break between updates...college is super hectic and it's hard to find time to post and write!

Anyway, if you're interested in reading a larger story set during the Lord of the Rings,  please check out either of my stories "You Had Me at 'Handkerchief'"(Bilbo) or "Of Dwarves and Men"(Boromir).  And if you want to read more of my Hobbit stories, check out my book "Saving Durin."

I hope you are all having a fantastic day!

xo

Patagonian