Once (Pt. 1)

Most people in the Acts of the Apostles Academy kept telling me I had everything that every lad was dying to have. I got a perfect kind of life. I came from a well-off family. I was always on top of the class and I was the school's basketball captain. Well, those are according to them. Despite all of those comments, I never considered myself as a "Very Important Person." I didn't claim to be any of those I've enumerated. I preferred to live my life normally and enjoy the things I loved to do.

My close friends often told me that I should snog one of those girls who were vying for my attention and "score" on them. Honestly, those things were peanuts for me, but I chose to ignore those suggestions. Girls? Nah, I didn't have time for them. Not until one day...

"Oops!" That was the only word I managed to blurt out when someone suddenly bumped on me while I was walking towards the canteen.

I didn't know if it was a trick by a girl who just wanted my attention, but the good thing was, my arms were quick to hold her narrow waist before she slump on the cemented pathway. My eyes landed on her face and my forehead drew some creases. She was someone unfamiliar!

My eyes hovered around her narrow, oval-shaped face. Behind her nerdy glasses were the most amazing pair of chocolate-brown eyes I'd ever seen. They were surrounded by thick and long eyelashes and they were so expressive. Her nose was properly contoured and she was also gifted with naturally red, heart-shaped lips. I was like looking at a pretty face on a canvas.

Our gazes locked and my nerve-endings twitched as if they'd just been plugged into an electrical socket. My skin tightened as if it was being stretched over my bones. Oh, that was strange!

She cleared her throat and that brought me back to the present. I helped her stand up.

"T-Thank y-you," she said shyly as she fixed the lower part of her school uniform that was slightly crumpled. Her eyes tried to avoid mine.

I just nodded my head as a response; my eyes were still glued to her face. For the first time, I admitted that I was mesmerized by a girl.

"Are you okay?"

"Y-Yes!" she answered quickly.

"I haven't seen you before. Are you a transferee here?" I asked, trying to make an excuse just to prolong our conversation.

"Y-Yes. I-I'm sorry but I have to go now. Thanks again!" Then she immediately turned and walked away fast.

"Hey, miss! We haven't introduced ourselves yet!" I tried to chase her with my words but she continued walking. I didn't bother to chase her either because I knew that I would see her again. I walked to the canteen with the image of her still floating through my mind.