Chapter 3

I'd lain awake until 5 am, where I fell in and out of sleep until Mum woke me up before she left for work. I'm tired and cranky and something that popped into my head at some point while trying to sleep has sent my mind spinning.

What if Eva knew I'd be watching and planned the whole thing?

Her parents don't hear what she allegedly hears. They're concerned for her wellbeing on a much more claustrophobic level. She told me 2 am it happens. Our windows face each other's. Obviously, after being told something like that, I would watch her.

There could be something psychologically wrong with Eva.

Or she could be telling the truth.

Right now I have no idea what to believe.

But I'm leaning towards there being something wrong with her.

By the time I actually get out of bed Mum has left for work again. I need to knock for Eva but I'm putting it off. Last night was beyond weird and I'm fairly certain that she was putting on a show just for me.

Why kind of person would go to those lengths to be believed, though?

I shovel down a bowl of cereal and get dressed. As much as I'd love to put as much distance between me and Eva as possible there aren't many places to hide here. You can't avoid like the only other person living on your street for long.

After throwing my bowl in the sink, I head for the front door.

Eva's Dad is leaving his house as I lock up. He gives me a wave before driving off. I cross the road, keeping an eye on Eva's bedroom window. It gives me chills even in the light of day. Last night is still on my mind and it'll probably be in my nightmares for years to come. I can still feel the fear festering inside, growing bigger and bigger with every step I take towards their house.

Reaching out, I hold in my breath and knock on the door.

"Sienna," Mandy says, giving me a smile as she opens the door.

She's a lot calmer around me now. I guess she likes Eva having someone else to talk to, someone her own age. She probably thinks I'll be able to help Eva, take her mind off of whatever is going on with her. Because, you know, friends are able to fix everything.

"Hi. Is Eva in?"

Mandy steps to the side, opening the door fully. "She's up in her room, you know where it is."

"Thanks," I reply, slipping my shoes of before heading up to Eva's room. I hesitate outside her door. When I go inside, I have to talk to her and I'm not sure if I want her to know I saw what happened last night. If she's pretending, she'll want me to acknowledge it.

Ugh, I don't know what to do!

None of my other friends have required this much work before. It's exhausting being Eva's friend and I've not even known her a week yet.

With a deep breath, I call her name.

"Come in!"

I don't think I want to!

"Hi," I say, anxiously chewing on my lip as I push her door open.

Eva smiles, walking towards me. "Morning. Want a drink?"

I refrain from stepping back. "No thanks, I'm good."

"Okay, I need tea so let's go down."

Twisting, I let her pass. No way I'm having her walk behind me.