Chapter 4

I'm shaken awake and jump up, scrambling back against the wall with wide eyes.

"Sienna, it's okay, love, it's Mum."

I look around, disorientated. My heart is racing like I've just run a marathon. "Mum? What's going on?"

Holding her hands up, she sits on my bed. "You were screaming in your sleep. What were you dreaming?" Her voice is soft, like she needs to calm me down.

I'm fine. I think.

"I don't..." Rubbing my head, I take a couple of deep breaths. She scared the crap outta me waking me up like that. "I don't remember anything."

"Really? You were screaming, Sienna. I thought something was really wrong."

"Nope, remember nothing."

"Okay. Go back to bed then, it's still early."

I lay down and Mum tucks me in the way she did when I was little.

"I'm fine, really. Sorry I woke you up."

Smiling, she kisses my forehead. "As long as you're okay. Good night, love."

"Night, Mum."

When she leaves my room, she doesn't close the door or turn off the landing light. Maybe she's still freaked out since I woke her up with my apparent screaming. I sleep soundly as I was before being woken and since Mum didn't get me up again, I guess I had no more nightmares.

Walking downstairs like a zombie, I pad into the kitchen. "Morning," Mum says, yawning as she boils the kettle.

Since I couldn't get back to sleep this is the first morning in a while I've been out of bed before she's left. "Morning. I'm sorry about last night again."

"It's not your fault. Coffee?"

"Please. All of it," I reply, sitting at the island and slumping over. I feel like I've not slept at all in weeks.

Mum laughs and grabs me a mug. "The police are at Clint and Mandy's. I saw the car arrive a few minutes ago. I expect they'll want to talk to us, too. Are you okay with that?"

That means there's no news then.

"Of course," I say. "I don't think I can help but I'll answer any questions they have. I can't stop thinking about her, Mum. I knew this noise stuff was driving her crazy but I didn't know how much. Maybe if I'd done more–"

"No, Sienna," Mum interrupts. "Don't you do that to yourself. This isn't your fault. Eva clearly needed more help than even her parents could give. None of this is on you. Okay."

I nod but I can't help feeling bad. Eva told me she wanted to run away and if I'd said something to her parents then maybe they could've stopped her. Now she's out there somewhere alone.

Anything could happen to her.

I spend the day with Clint and Mandy, looking around the development over and over and then venturing out further. There's no sign of Eva anywhere. She left no note and from what Mandy can see, she took no clothes either. It's like she just vanished.

When Mum got back from work, she cooked for all of us and then we did another sweep. The police are looking too but since Eva is has threatened to run before there's no major search going on.

Her picture is everywhere around, though. Everyone is looking out for her. Mandy, Clint and Mum are keeping positive but I feel something's wrong. Something deep inside me knows Eva isn't okay. I don't know how to explain it and I can't exactly tell anyone. I mean, what would I even say?