Chapter 6

The noise Mum makes when she sees the doctor isn't human. He's at the end of the hallway, standing, staring.

Click.

His eyes.

I still can't look away from them even though they're terrifying.

"What do we do?" I whisper, pressing my back into the door. I need Mum to be the adult and tell me what to do.

She doesn't speak. Shaking, she watches the doctor...ghost with wide eyes.

He starts to walk closer and Mum suddenly snaps back. Thank God. Gripping my hand in a vice grip, she yanks me into the living room, taking her mobile out of her pocket as we run.

It takes her ages to press the first number; her fingers are all over the place. The phone is whipped out of her hand, making us scream. It smashes against the floor and breaks in half.

"Mum," I cry.

Taking my hand, she pushes my behind her.

Click.

"Let my daughter go," Mum demands. Her whole body is trembling but she's trying to be strong to protect me.

He stares.

"I'm not asking you. I'm telling. Leave. This is my house."

A vase flies towards us but we manage to duck. I push into Mum's back, trying to disappear. I've never been so scared. The case smashes against the wall, shattering into thousands of tiny pieces.

He takes a step.

No, no, no.

Click.

"He's not going to let me leave," I say, pulling at her arm, desperate for her to do something. He didn't let Eva escape. That's when I get it. He didn't harm Eva's parents because he only wanted her. "But he might let you go."

"There is no way, Sienna."

My head starts to pound and I drop to my knees. I cry out, gripping the intense pressure at the side. "Stop! Stop it!"

"Sienna!"

The pain vanishes as quick as it appeared. I gasp and my hands collapse on the floor.

Click.

There's no time for Mum to fuss over me because he's moving closer.

"Go!" I shout, standing up and shoving Mum to the side where we run to the other end of the living room. We're trapped, him or it is closer to the door but we're further from him than before.

I scream as the TV flies past us and smashes against the wall. Mum holds me tight against her back and cries. He's getting more violent and his eyes are fixed on me.

"What do we do?" I shout. "Mum!"

Click.

"Run, Sienna!"

She tries to shove me away but I dig my heels into the floor. "Not without you." Oh my God, oh my God, I can't believe this is happening. This isn't real.

But I know it is real.

The 'man' standing in front of us is long dead. His white coat is covered in dark blood and his eyes are completely void of emotion. His dark hair is peppered with greys at the sides.

Click.

For the longest time, he stares at us unmoving. He stood by the fireplace throwing things around without actually touching them.