Chapter 14

“I can’t believe no one heard us driving off,” says Cody.

    “That’s why I waited for the thunder. Anyway, we should be fine, now. We’re about to hit the Church Street Annex. No one ever comes this far,” says Ethan.

    “Yeah, I guess that’s true. Surely the barrier doesn’t go any further than that…“

    “You don’t know that. It could go all the way to Inman street. Think about it; if we make it all the way to downtown, we’ll have all the food we need for weeks! I bet no one else has thought of it, either. They probably think the barrier stops once you leave campus, but c’mon. Campus is oddly shaped, anyway. If the barrier is a circle, it has to include more than just campus.”

    “I guess that makes sense, but it could still end up here and make a circle. We’re right at the edge… Shouldn’t you slow down a little?”

    “Cody, this truck is the only thing on the road. I’m only going 40.”

    “I know, but what if you hit the barrier? It could bounce back or something.”

    “Hmm. I guess that’s a good point. I’ll slow down.” Just as the truck settles down to fifteen miles per hour, they hit it. The front end of the vehicle smashes against a rock-hard invisible wall, crumpling both doors. The barrier sends an electric charge through the vehicle. Within seconds, the gas ignites, and the truck is in flames.

    Taylor, sitting in the back seat, can see no way out. The right side of the truck is still relatively unharmed, so she jumps between the seats and pushes Cody towards the door. The combined efforts of the two of them are successful, and the door springs open. They ungracefully fall to the ground and immediately take off running, leaving Ethan to struggle for escape.

    The driver’s door will not budge, but Ethan sees his chance for escape through the passenger door, graciously left open by the other two. He pulls his legs carefully from the crumpled metal and rubber that used to be his dashboard and reaches for the other seat.

    Taylor, however, realizes what he is doing, and in a moment of instinct, she turns around, runs back to the truck, and slams the door shut. “I’m sorry, Ethan,” she yells, “but we can’t all make it out of here alive.”

    Unfortunately, her statement is too true. Suddenly, the fire reaches the engine, and as Taylor takes in the shock on Ethan’s face, the truck explodes. The fire engulfs them both. Cody stands by Campus Safety, numbly taking in the sounds of their screaming. The screams go on for a minute or two, but it feels like an eternity. Finally, there is nothing but the sound of the flames. The cannon booms once. Cody bows his head in a moment of silence. A second blast. He whispers a prayer, then turns around.

    Fifty feet away, standing in the middle of street, is David. David nods his head and clucks his tongue, his signature greeting.

    “You’re about to wish you were in that fire, Cody.”