Chapter 21

For three days, the tributes have been hiding. It did not take long for them to discover the robot and the wreckage that followed in its wake. Hannah has secluded herself in Sharp-Davis, occasionally venturing to the roof for a good view of the destruction below. Cody and David are living comfortably in the library, eating from the snack supply and locking themselves in the study rooms at night. When conversation gets dull or tiresome, they turn to the books, studying all they can about robots and man-to-man combat. David takes a special interest in a small book called The Prince and pockets a copy. Brad remains in the chapel, praying, reading his bible (the item he chose to take with him into the games), and surviving off of the communion he takes each morning. Paige and Andrea have made their way back to Storms; they are hiding in an apartment on the third floor, occasionally venturing out to the other rooms, looking for supplies. Surely something in this place could destroy a robot, right? Dani is near the ped mall, venturing back and forth between the buildings when the coast is clear and hissing at stray animals that get in her way.

    Mesa has discovered the rope left behind by Becca and Amanda in the tower of the SMC. She ties it around her waist and clambers awkwardly out of a window onto the roof. Standing atop the brilliant archway, she can see every building and every moving object. She cups her eyes and focuses on the ground. Of course, there is only one moving object. Beccan is circling the student union. “Hmm. I wonder who’s inside?” Mesa says to herself.

    She sits down after a while, enjoying the fresh air. The birds circling the grounds seem blissful, quite unaware of the tragedy that surrounds them. Their presence is oddly pleasant. In light of it all, it does feel nice to have some friendly company. She lays back, settling down comfortably against the warm tiles. She closes her eyes and imagines herself somewhere peaceful. Her little hometown, a village, really, with its quiet tree-lined streets… Oh, to be back in that tranquility. That would be wonderful.

    Her nostalgic ponderings are interrupted, suddenly, by the sound of a gunshot. Mesa jumps up and watches as her former ally, Madeline, sprints across the grass between the PCSU and the Conn Center. She attempts to lock the robot out, delaying it with her shots, but Beccan is persistent. It mutilates the doors in its attempt to reach her, sending horrifying sounds of screeching metal to Mesa’s ears. Madeline gives up and runs deeper into the building, out of sight, and the robot follows.

    Mesa waits expectantly for close to an hour. She hears nothing from the Conn Center. No screeching, no gunshots, no cannon. Did Madeline manage to kill it that quickly and quietly inside the building? Has she found a place to hide? Or is she already injured, dying a slow, painful death? After fifty-six minutes, the robot emerges from the broken doorway. It turns and heads for the SOR. Has it given up?  

    For the next thirty minutes, Mesa has a silent debate with herself. She could stay here, sure, but there is a limited food supply. If she’s going to have to fight anyway, why not do it on a full stomach? The robot is gone; it’s off circling the library now, far away from her and even from the Conn Center. If Madeline is in there, hurt, this is the best time to take the gun. Maybe the only time. With the gun, Mesa can take on any tribute that gets in her way, and perhaps, with enough strategy and luck, she can destroy the menace that has them all locked in their cages. If Madeline is unhurt, then, well… maybe they can call a truce and take on the machine together? If not… death is bound to happen someday, is it not? Let it come down to a fight. At this point, there’s no turning back. If you want to live, you have to fight. If you expect to die, why waste any more time living in this misery?

    It’s decided, then. Mesa stands up, pulls on the rope, and climbs back into the bell tower.  She changes into one of the missions week t-shirts; her red one is getting a bit disgusting, and she wants to feel fresh and confident on her last day.  She rolls up the rope and throws it over her shoulder. With just a few shaky steps, she descends into the Great Room. She sighs as she says a final goodbye to the favored study zone of her Math major friends, and she continues to the door. Once outside, she turns around. A professor told her once that archways, such as the one above her now, represent victory. If there were ever a time in her life when victory was essential, it would be now. She whispers a prayer for safety as she turns around, headed straight for the eternal flames of war.