Chapter 3

Something was wrong.

Maybe acting on feelings that he didn't fully comprehend wasn't the best move on Kageyama's part. Whatever had been bothering Hinata just seemed to get worse as time passed and after his poorly thought out confession on the rooftop, the boy wouldn't even look at him anymore.

Practice went smoothly as usual, which surprised him even more than it should have with his peer's recent problems. Did he expect the middle blocker to return his feelings? No, but he at least expected some sort of acknowledgement to the fact that he found the boy on the rooftop liking more than a little ready to repeat past incidents. Which was something that still needed to be brought to the team's attention, but he didn't know how to present the fact just yet.

Takeda had checked Hinata's grades after his game performance improved and he soon found that those had improved also. Which was a great step above what Hinata was usually like and while everyone was praising the boy for his sudden achievements, Kageyama was worried.

"Suga-San..." His voice was low, not wanting to interrupt the upperclassmen's conversation with his friend, but he was the only person he knew that he could talk to about what he was thinking. As the attention turned over to him, he felt himself retreat a bit as the other called off his conversation to pull Kageyama to the side and before anything else could be said, he spoke up again. "It's about Hinata... Something doesn't seem right and I'm aware that he's doing better at practice and in class, but that doesn't mean he's doing well, right?"

Surprise crossed across the other setter's face for a moment before a smile took its place. "Kageyama... Hinata's situation is complicated right now. He's already talked to me about what had happened in his life recently."

There was no way that Shouyou told Suga about what happened on top of the roof.

"I understand why you'd be upset-"

There was no way, he wouldn't.

"He didn't want me to be the one to tell you, but since you've already picked up on what's going on- I guess I have to. Kageyama..."

It was worse than he thought. Not only had Hinata told him, but he told Suga to reject him for the middle blocker. that hurt more than his little crush being exposed.

"I know it's hard in you for Hinata to be dating Oikawa-San. I mean, Daichi almost blew a fuse when he found out."

What?

"You just have to keep in mind that whatever is going on between them is none of the team's business. Oikawa seems to have a positive influence on his life, really. His grades are improving along with his performance."

This can't be happening.

"Especially with what had happened, Oikawa makes him happy and that's all that matters. We just have to accept that fact and move on because as long as he is happy and content with his relationship, we have no say unless it grows to be unhealthy. I don't want you bothering him or rushing to nag him about it, understand?"

"I understand." This couldn't be happening. "Thank you for explaining. Have a nice day." Kageyama turned and started for the gym seeing as practice was due to start soon enough. Sugar was wrong. That was the only explanation for what was going on. There was no way in shell Hinata would ever think to date that bastard. There was no way.

No way.

As he came up on the doors of the gym he found his feet moving at a faster pace. His mind was turning wheels after than he could process at one time and it was to much for him. To much. His feet moved when orange flashed in front of the gym window, probably Hinata jumping up and down as always. Soon, he was past the doors, his body still outside as he moved along the side of the gym. What was he doing?

He had no idea what he was doing, but his body was moving on it's own and just like Hinata had ran from he, he ran from Hinata. Though, this time he had uncharted feelings following him that he never wanted to consider again.

There was no way he'd let himself get hurt a third time by the same person.