Prologue Pt. 1 - Traumatized

Mary Josephine (Jo) POV

' I'm lucky ' I think to myself as I drag my finger across the foggy surface of the window. A smile curves my lips as I see my reflection on the pane. I draw a sloppy heart when something catches my attention out of the corner of my eye. It's my grandmother walking up the stone path to the front door.

Finally!

I stumble down the stairs as quickly as possible to greet my grandmother at the door. She trudges in and I help her shrug off her windbreaker.

" This winter will be harsh," she rasps in disappointment, " Go get me a cup of coffee will you, Jo?"

I nod curtly and rush to the kitchen to grab her a mug I had just previously brewed. When I return to the living room I notice her staring at the pictures on the fireplace mantle. The only photo that isn't of Alaskan scenery is of me and grandma at the dock. I remember how grandma didn't want that photo taken. We had been fishing with Westley Ferguson for salmon and he had snapped a picture of us holding a big fish together. Grandma was inspecting the fish and I was smiling in triumph at the camera. It was the only photo taken of us together.

A poorly taken photo.

Grandma turns her attention to me when she notices me approaching. She murmurs a thanks when I hand her the cup and then looks back at the photo she despises. It had taken a lot of convincing from me to get her to let the framed copy sit above the fireplace.

" Westley died last night," she says, breaking the silence.

I gasp in shock as I look at Grandma's grave expression. Grandma never jokes or lies for that matter.

" They think it was a heart attack," grandma continues. She lifts her gaze to mine but I can't determine what she is feeling. That glint of stubbornness that usually resides in her deep blue eyes isn't even there.

I swallow the saliva that has collected in my mouth and look away. It unsettles me that grandma can talk about this so calmly.

" Well? Aren't you going to say something?" she chides, " No words of sympathy?"

I smack my lips and let out an exasperated sigh.

" He was a kind man and I appreciated his friendliness," I reply and turn away to swipe away the tear that has managed to escape.

" Josephine, there is something that I have wanted to ask you?" Grandma asks.

" Yes, grandmother?"

" What happened?"

" I don't no what you mean by ' what happened?'" I answer confused but a second later I realize what she means.

Am I really ready to answer that?

" The day of the incident, something happened and it changed you," she says, relating to my disorder.

" I was traumatized, that's all you need to know," clipping each word through gritted teeth I stare out the window.

What she doesn't know could hurt her. No one wants to no about what I felt.

No one...