STEP FIVE

STEP FIVE: Present Yourself.

Here's where things get a little ugly. Your work is only part of the picture. How you present yourself to your potential editor is crucial.

Show that you have thought this through. Show that you are taking this seriously. If you use your precious time with an editor as a litany of excuses, you have told him in no uncertain terms that he should never, ever hire you. Every time I see a portfolio review, the artist always wants to "explain" why the pieces are not finished, or why it's all pin-ups, on and on. I have no idea how editors take it.

Be polite, be professional. If your portfolio sucks, fix it before showing it. If you are a writer, yes, it's trickier. But you have to bring something to give your editor a reason to read your work. Have you won an award? Have you been printed in an anthology? SOMETHING in comic form is best. The art needn't be perfect...if you're a writer, they want to know that you can tell a story in pictures, that you understand the language of comics. This is a time to be bold.

Same thing with artists...do NOT apply for an interior art job with only pin-up and figure work pages. You HAVE to show some sequential work.

And another thing...if you are at this stage, don't bring up your fanfic.

No one really wants to talk about this, because people are so sensitive about it, but if you come to the table carrying fanfic baggage, it's like showing up to a major league talent scout while still wearing your ill-fitting Little League outfit, or showing up to race Nascar on your skateboard.

They won't take you seriously. Do not present your fanfic to show your writing skills. Do not present fanfic ideas as pitches. I can't stress it enough. I'm sure people think I am being mean, but I don't have a single thing against fanfic. Enjoy it, have fun, be happy. But if you are trying to compete with professional writers, then it's time to put the fanfic away, at least while dealing with these editors.

Fanfic is lovely. I'm glad it makes you happy. Now bury it in the backyard and review Step Four. You need that plan. What I want you to do, consider it an assignment, is to decide what you want in this career. Then I want you to make a plan to make that happen. Minicomic, webcomic, prose, magazine article and illustration, film, columns, whatever. Make that plan. Do it tonight. And put away the excuses that are getting in your way. Don't share them, don't give them that power. Move around them. No one can clear that path for you. You have to do it. You have to be smart, talented, and determined like a bastard. And you have to put the things holding you back aside. Bury them in the yard and plant a tree over them. Work hard, make art you're proud of and show it everywhere. Know what you offer and let others know it. Do it now. Start right now.

That's it, really. I know most people are probably going to read this and kind of glaze over, and click on their favorite porn site. But the opportunity is there. It's as much a matter of what to cut from your life as it is what goals to add.

Once you make it, there's a lot of advice I have, but this is the stuff I wish I could convey to every new aspiring creator who asks me for tips. I know some other pros read this Tumblr and I'd love to hear from them as well. I created a Tumblr especially for the advice of my pro friends for new creators at ComicsSurvivalKit.tumblr.com. Please go check it out, it's full of useful information.

It's not impossible. People do it every week. It's your choice.

Good luck. I mean it.