nine.

Day 5.

"We're partying tonight, Mar." Jack's voice trailed into my room long before his body entered my sanctuary, without knocking beforehand, might I add. "There's a luau and I want you to come." I peered up from the worn pages of my Pride and Prejudice book to see him jump onto the bed and land on his stomach, laying perpendicular to my indolent figure.

"And what if I refuse?" I retorted in a dull tone, a quiet sigh passing my lips as I turned the page, making it obvious that I had no interest in his plans for the night.

"It wasn't a question." He shot back, which made me lower my book to meet his gaze. He seemed rather set on dragging me out to party, matching how stubborn I was to stay inside for the night.

"No." I declared, but as always, he wasn't going to accept any answer that didn't benefit him.

"Sam and Nate are coming," he tried.

"Oh, that makes it better."

"So you'll come?"

"No."

"Marley."

"Jack."

One growl of frustration later, and we were engaged in an intense stare down with neither of us intending to crack any time soon. I've had plenty of practice with obstinate minds such as his, myself being the prime example. I am not a party person, I never was a party person, and I never will be a party person. It wasn't my "scene" and quite frankly, I was in no mood to interact with less than sober people.

"Marley," Jack sighed, defeated at last. "Please come? It wouldn't be fun without you."

My first instinct was to laugh in his face, though I wasn't meaning to be rude. "It wouldn't be fun with me. I am the literal definition of a party pooper." I shook my head, thinking I had gotten through to him until he decided to take his efforts up a notch.

"But I want you there." He frowned, laying his cheek onto my shin. Like he probably predicted, I tensed up and found myself struggling to find the right words, falling right into his trap of persuasion. "There'll be food and dancing and music..." He hummed, tracing his finger along my exposed thigh, and I could focus on nothing but the invisible shapes he drew and the feeling that lingered after his touch. "I just wanted to have some fun with my girlfriend." There he goes, dropping the g-bomb on me. My heart fluttered, and as much as I campaigned against him just a few minutes ago, I couldn't find the willpower to reject that puppy face of his.

"I guess a few hours wouldn't hurt..." I sighed, closing my book and setting it on the bedside table. There wasn't a doubt in my mind about the luau being fun because, as reluctant as I am to say it, Jack's already given me the best couple days of my life, and I'm sure this time would be no different.

"You'll have fun, I promise." Jack responded with a bright smile, and as he moved to slide off the bed, his lips pressed a single kiss to my leg before he was gone. Why? Why must he be so intimate, and why must I like it?

* * * *

The moment we approached the wooden gates, I felt like we were being brought into another world. The sounds of drums and ukuleles, the smells of traditional luau foods, the bright and warming glow of the tiki torches: it was a total sensory overload. Not to mention the vast dark blue ocean that acted as a backdrop to the whole setup of the party, which completed the authenticity of this Hawaiian dream.

I walked alongside Jack, behind Sammy, Nate, and their dates, marveling at how animated and fun the atmosphere felt.

"So?" Jack insinuated as he slid a strong arm around my waist. "Is it as bad as you thought it was?"