Chapter 12

Skyler's p.o.v.

"Come on, Skyler! Just tell us what happened! I wanna hear all of the cute details!" Connor had been bothering me about my night with Nathan ever since I walked onto the soccer field. Today was our day for practice before the playoffs.

I glared at him as he continued to plead with me. "All you want to know is if we had sex and for your information we didn't. All we did was sleep together, without having sex. Now stop asking about it." I wasn't lying either. I left out the fact that we were naked while we slept, but my friends didn't need to know that. I was kind of disappointed that we didn't have sex, but it was my decision. We got close to it a few times and when Nathan was about to...enter me...I freaked out. He was also disappointed, but he respected that I wasn't ready.

"All you did was sleep? Lame. Date a little longer and you'll be doing more than just sleeping. Trust me. Evan and I...wow, we should probably start practicing! I'll be over there if you need me." Connor pointed farther down the field then took off before I could question him.

Evan and him? Was Nathan actually correct about his assumption between those two? They seemed like a very unlikely couple, but then again so were Nathan and I. It didn't really matter as long as they loved each other. But why was it all coming out now? How long had they been together? There had to be signs that they were a thing, but nothing was coming to mind. They did spend a lot of time together from all that I knew. That was it, though.

I kept an eye on both of them to see if there was anything unusual. Evan wasn't apart of our soccer team, but often he would come to watch us play. Now it made sense that he actually came to watch Connor play. He sat on the benches while Connor stood near him. Nothing seemed off right now, but they wouldn't act like a couple in front of all of these people.

Soon our coach was yelling instructions at us. Connor got into his position after a few last words to Evan. I took my place at the front where the other teams captain was waiting. We went through the whole stupid routine that we did each time before the game finally began.

Before I could kick the ball away from the other teams captain, I caught sight of Nathan making his way to the bleachers. He saw me watching him so he smiled and waved before taking a seat next to Evan. My whole body tensed up. Not because I didn't want him there, but I felt nervous with him watching me. I never felt nervous before when others watched us play.

"Skyler, what the hell are you doing?!" I heard my coach yell at me.

While staring at Nathan I hadn't noticed that the game had begun. The other teams captain looked stunned that he even got the ball before I did. He looked over to where I was staring originally and smirked. "Looking at your boyfriend? Faggot."

That one word made my blood boil. No one was going to call me a faggot and get away with it. I tackled him to the ground, then threw a few punches at his face. There was a crack as I hit his nose. A few seconds later I felt hands on me trying to pull me away from the other boy. I struggled to get away from them. The boys face was bloody as his nose bled, but a few more punches couldn't hurt.

"Skyler, stop it! You're acting like an idiot!" Connor yelled at me. He was one of the people holding me back, the other was our coach.

I stopped struggling when Nathan started coming over to us. Seeing him calmed me down.

The two let go of me when I stopped trying to get away, but coach looked pissed. "Get out of here now. I will not have that sort of behavior on the field. For that you will not be playing next weeks game."

I was taken aback by coaches words. He knew just as well as everyone else that banning me from the game would be a big loss. The team might lose without me. My team had never lost before.

Without saying a word I turned and walked away from them. I felt like crying. It was from more than just the thought of losing. Playing the game was the only thing that kept me sane on most days and now I couldn't even have that. I practically slammed the locker room door as I entered.

I grabbed my backpack with no intention of changing out of my soccer uniform. My plan was to just go home to be alone. I couldn't have peace when someone else entered the locker room. I turned around to see Nathan, Connor, and Evan.

"Hey, I'm going to talk to coach and hopefully he'll let you play next week. We need you, dude. He knows that and I'm sure he just said that because he was angry," Connor said. I appreciated the thought, but right now I was too pissed to care about what coach said. Then Connor asked, "What made you hit that guy, anyway?"

This I actually decided to answer. There was no point in hiding it. "He called me a faggot."

"I'm glad you hit him then. He deserved it." Nathan had made his way over to me. He grabbed my face in his hands and kissed my forehead. "You're not a faggot."

His small gesture made me so happy. I gave him a quick kiss on the lips without caring that my friends were standing there watching. I heard 'awws' from both of them. When I looked passed Nathan I saw Connor had an arm around Evan's waist.

"So it is true! You two are a thing." I didn't expect it to come out so loud, but I ended up shocking them. They quickly pulled away from each other.

For the first time Connor actually seemed speechless. Evan was blushing, but surprisingly he was the one who admitted it. "Well, yeah, we are. We've been together since freshmen year but we decided keeping it a secret would be for the best."

"But after seeing you two we've been talking about telling everyone. Our friends at least. Then slowly others will know, too. We love each other and there will be people who reject us after they know, but I don't care what they think. All I need is Evan." Connor pulled Evan back into his arms after that. They looked happy together and that was all that mattered.

Connor had to return to practice a few minutes later. Evan followed him, holding his hand on the way out. Nathan and I left together in the opposite direction. He led me to his car to take me home.

It didn't take long before we pulled up in front of my house. The moment to leave had come way too soon. For a moment we sat there not wanting to leave the other.

"I'm going to tell my parents about us. Connor is right. We shouldn't hide this from people. I know that my parents will be okay with it, but once I tell them this should be much easier to get out. I hope you don't mind." Nathan kept his eyes on mine as he said those words to me.

I nodded. "You should tell them. I...can't tell my parents. My mom would probably tell my dad then he'd...never mind. It's not important." Almost I told him. I just couldn't tell him yet.

"Sky..." He began but before he could say anything else I pressed my lips onto his. It was to shut him up, but he didn't complain.

I pulled away and said, "I'll see you later. Love you, Nathan."

I got out of the car before he could return the words. He looked disappointed, but he didn't stop me. As I have as halfway up the porch my phone vibrated in my pocket. I took it out to read the text.

'Love you, too, Sky.'

Nathan was already driving away by the time I looked back. I smiled at his text. Those words were what I could hold onto for the rest of the night.