Five

So, maybe it was not the smartest idea I have ever had. But I did not think that swimming across a lake in my new, all-leather Thieves Guild armor would be that harmful.

Once I got to shore, I found out I was wrong.

Grumbling in the night, I wrung out my dripping hair and crouched behind a bush next to the main gate. Thanks to Tonilia, I had my new armor, as well as a few dozen more arrows to use against these mercenaries. Bryn did a thorough job warning me about how guarded this place was, and I was glad he did. If he had not, I would have been totally overwhelmed by the sheer number of guards.

First order of business was getting past the locked front gate. At least two different guards paced behind it, if I could trust that my ears were not hearing things. I would have to cause some form of distraction, then hope that they would open the gate and not choose to rain arrows down on me instead. 

Might as well just go for it.

I strode right up to the gate and knocked. As soon as the two pairs of feet rustled behind the gate, I ducked back into my hiding spot and waited. The gate swung open, and two of the fur armor-clad mercenaries came into view. They both wielded steel swords, and both bad torches in their other hands.

I released an arrow from my bow, striking the first man in the head. He died without a sound, falling to the ground with a heavy thump. His compatriot's head swiveled around, first at the body at his feet, then towards my hiding place. I hurriedly nocked and released another arrow, but this one only embedded itself into the merc's shoulder. He released a cry of pain and came rushing towards me.

I whipped out another arrow, holding it tightly in my hand. When the man was close enough, I drove the iron point into his throat. Blood gushed over my hand when I pulled it out, and the mercenary dropped his sword to clutch his neck. He fell to his knees moments later, his blood pooling around my boots.

I pulled the other arrow from his shoulder, picked up his sword and sheath—I figured having a sword as well as a dagger would be useful—and made my way through the open gate. I put my bow on my back, then worked on strapping the sword's scabbard to my belt. Once that was done, I crouched low and pressed my back against the low, natural rock wall lining the cobblestone pathway. Close by, other mercenaries chattered about their favorite brand of mead or their ex-lovers, as if they had not heard their friends die just outside the gate.

Vex must not be as good as they say, if she couldn't get past these imbeciles.

I would never dare to say that to her face, though. She already hated me—or strongly disliked me, at least—and I knew better than to insult her.

Instead, I focused on getting to the beehives without being seen. I knew that would not be easy, considering I would have to light three of them up with a torch I did not yet have. As if remembering to only burn three was not hard enough.

As I veered off the cobblestone path and up a rough dirt one, I found a torch sitting in a sconce close to the hives. I smiled to myself, picked it up, then continued to sneak closer. I crept through the mountain-flower fields, approaching the closest beehive. I held the torch to it, and it caught fire instantly. Carefully but quickly, I rushed to the third one in the row, putting enough space in between each so that maybe the blaze would not consume all the hives. Once the third and final beehive was lit, I stamped out the torch and made a mad dash to the shadows. How the other mercenaries had not seen me, I did not know, but I was not complaining about it.

What's that expression? "Never look a gift horse in the mouth?"

I made it to the front door of the house without problem. I pushed the door open and slipped in before the guards could see me.