Twenty-Four

"Oh, gods, what just happened?!"

"He was taken away, where he can be dealt with properly," said a cold and powerful voice. It came from somewhere behind me. "Now... what to do with you?"

I turned to see a woman as pale as snow, with eyes as cold as night, towering above me. Her body was clad with a sort of hooded, indigo robe, the fabric barely covering her. Her sleeves dropped down to the floor, and I felt as though I would be able to hide in them. She had a hood pulled over her head, casting an eerie shadow over her intimidating—yet beautiful—features. Two nightingales perched on her shoulders, and a third rested on her left wrist.

"Lady Nocturnal?"

"Yes, it is I, Nocturnal. Mistress of Night and Shadow. The Daedric Lord who now holds your fate in her hands."

"My Lady, please—"

"Don't bother begging. Your pleas fall on deaf ears. I have already made up my mind."

"So I am to spend the rest of eternity here? Floating in some realm of Oblivion while the remaining Nightingales mourn the loss of another?"

"If you would kindly let me finish!"

I shrank back within myself, feeling so much like a scolded child.

"I have decided that it would be a shame for your... somewhat promising career as my Nightingale to end before it could begin. I have already claimed one soul today, and I desire not to claim another. Therefore, I will return you to your realm, but you must remember you are a Nightingale. If you stray from my path, I will not hesitate to claim your soul and send you to the very same place I have sent that traitor, Mercer Frey."

I found my knees trembling. "Yes, my Lady."

"Now, go and return my Key to me. It is your place, as my champion, mortal."

My eyes cracked open as warm breath blew past my cheek.

I tried to sit up, but a heavy, leather-clad arm draped over my waist. I turned my head back, seeing Bryn's sleeping and peaceful face just behind me.

My face grew hot with embarrassment. I had forgotten about falling asleep next to Brynjolf.

I managed to roll onto my other side, so I faced Bryn. His arm still wrapped around my waist, and his fingers splayed over the small of my back. A small smile tweaked his lips as he slept. I had never seen him look so peaceful.

I traced my index finger over the scar on his cheek, smiling as his beard tickled my fingertip.

The arm around my waist shot up and the hand latched around my wrist. I gasped as Bryn's bright green eyes opened, and his smirk grew into a full-blown smile.

"Good morning, lass."

I relaxed as his hand released my wrist. "Good morning, honey."

He chuckled sleepily as he rolled onto his back and stretched, very much like a cat. I giggled at him.

He turned to me after he finished stretching, eyes shining and lips twisted into a grin. "How'd you sleep?"

The last part of my vision, where Nocturnal sent me back to the realm of the living, played through my head. Her warning echoed in my ears, the words weighing on me ominously. It was quite the threat: stray from her rules, and she would pull me back to her realm without a second thought. It wasn't something I was comfortable talking about just yet.

"I slept well, I suppose. How about you?"

"Better than I have in a long time. I think you had something to do with it."