Twenty-Three

Femke

With the warmth of the fire washing over me, I dozed against Bryn's shoulder. He had an arm wrapped around me, hand resting in the curve of my waist. He had also taken off his cape and laid it over me. It granted me the extra warmth I so desperately needed.

"It's a shame you had to die, Femke. What a waste."

"What on Nirn are you talking about? This isn't... I can't be...."

"I'm here. You watched me die. Logically, that means you're dead, too. Now we're waiting for Nocturnal to try us. To see what part of the Evergloam she will send us to." His head hung. "I know I won't be going anywhere nice."

"You should've thought about that before you stole the Key and killed Gallus!"

"Still so simple, Femke. So naïve. Everything is black and white, no gray area. Well, my reasons for taking the Key and Gallus's life are so hard to explain, and I doubt we have enough time to talk about it."

"We're dead. We have all the time in the world."

"No, we don't. Soon, you'll have a vision of what you wanted most in life, and a vision of what your life would've been like, had you survived. Once that happens, I doubt I'll be around to see your reactions."

"None of this makes any sense."

"Lass? You all right?"

Jolting from my vision, I sat up and pressed a hand to my lips. "I'm sorry. Lost in my own thought. What were you saying?"

Karliah sat up a little straighter and stoked the flames. "Brynjolf refused to give up on you. He said you'd wake up."

I grinned and wiped a hand over my aching forehead. "Well, he was right. Obviously."

"But I don't understand how. You inhaled a lot of water. You drowned."

I shrugged. "I can't explain it, either, Karliah. But I'm alive. Isn't that enough for you?"

"I just don't see how it's possible."

I could not help but feel like I was being interrogated. It made me defensive. "Well, it's not like the gods had a nice little chat with me while I was out."

"Easy, lass." Bryn rubbed my arm gently. "You don't have to be so angry."

"You didn't see anything? Didn't hear anyone speak to you?"

Colors began to swirl before my eyes. Light and sound blended together in a torrent of sensation. I shot a glance to where Mercer had been standing. "What's happening to me?"

"You're fading into your visions. Don't fight it. It'll go smoother if you embrace it."

"Mercer—!"

When I blinked, I no longer stood in the dark, shapeless void alongside Mercer. Instead, I lay on a warm bed beside a crackling fire. I had my hands resting on my belly, which was covered by a green, woolen blanket and heavily swollen. I stroked my palm over my stomach's curve gently, my voice crooning a soft, sweet lullaby.

The doors on the other side of the wood-walled room swung open, and Brynjolf stepped inside. On his face was his signature smile, and in his arms was a little girl with an angular—no, elf-like—face. She had beautiful green eyes and soft, black hair that came to her elbows. From underneath the locks, her ears stuck out in soft points, and on one ear, she wore a chained earring and cuff almost identical to mine.

"Have a good time at the market, Fai?" I asked as the little girl jumped from Bryn's arms and ran to my bedside.

"Oh, yes, Mama! Daddy took me by Madesi's stall, and he bought me this!" In her little fist, she held a silver locket. "Isn't it pretty?"