Chapter 6: First Step Together

RONNY POV

A week later I was on my way to her apartment to pick Xo up for her doctors appointment. I pulled up to her apartment and walked up to get buzzed in. I pressed the buzzer and she quickly answered, "I'll be down in one minute!" I stood on the front steps and waited for her to come out. 

"Hey." She replied, startling me. 

"Hi," I replied, "Shall we?" I asked and she nodded, the two of us walking down the steps. I opened the door again for me and she slid in. "You look nice today." I commented as he pulls out onto the road. 

She blushed, "Thank you," Xo said genuinely, looking at him. 

I turned to her for a moment and smile lightly, "You're welcome," I said genuinely. We drive in comfortable silence until we reach her OB-GYN's office. We get out of the car and walk in. 

Xo takes the lead and heads right into the check in desk. The busy receptionist looks up, "Hey Xo," She greets warmly. 

 Xo smiles that beautiful smile of hers, "Hey Rory," She greets cordially. 

"We're here for my 10 A.M. appointment." She says to the receptionist. 

Rory types quickly into her computer, "Okay, you are all set. You can take a seat and a nurse will be out momentarily to bring you in." She said. 

Xo turned to me, "Let's go grab a seat." She insisted. 

We took two seats in the corner. My eyes wandered around the waiting area, pregnancy and contraceptive posters scattered around the walls, low music playing on the speakers, women all around waiting, some with partners, others alone. My thoughts were distracted by Xo nudging me, "Ready?" She asked quietly and I nodded, following behind her and the tall nurse who had called us in. We got into a small examination room and I took a seat on one of the hard plastic chairs in the corner by the exam table.  

"So I'm just gonna take a blood sample and your blood pressure and then Dr. Penny will be in." The nurse explained and Xo just nodded her head. I sat silently as the nurse did her job, I was just waiting for the doctor come in. 

Five minutes later the doctor came in. She looked very official and experienced with her long, white lab coat, clipboard in hand, and stethoscope hanging loosely around her neck. "Hello Xo," She greeted warmly shaking Xo's hand. "Dr. Penny," She greeted politely. 

Dr. Penny then turned to me and I gulped, my heart pounding. "And you are?" She asked curiously. "Uh- I'm R-Ronny," I stuttered. 

"He's the baby's father," Xo added, giving me a nod. 

I smiled at her, "Yeah,"I agreed. Dr. Penny smiled warmly, 

"It is really nice to meet you Ronny.' She extended her arm out to me and I shook it. "It's great that you're here because there are some papers we would like you to fill out, with things like history, medical issues, and such." She explained. 

"I'd be happy to." I replied genuinely. 

She turned to the both of us, "So who's ready to see the baby?" She asked us. We both nodded and she had Xo lift up her shirt. This was the first time I really noticed a change, her two month stomach was small but there was a definite roundness to it. As Dr. Penny moved around the wand she was talking animatedly about pregnancy, babies, and health. I was listening intently, I had no clue about babies and what to do. Finally she stopped moving the wand around and pointed, "That's your baby." She said happily. Xo and I both leaned in to look at the small monitor. Then, at the same moment, we let out a small gasp. There it was, small, curled, and looking like a lima bean, our baby. Suddenly I felt fingers wrap around my hand, and looking down I saw Xo looking up at me. I smiled and grasped her hand tightly. "

Wow," She whispered in almost disbelief. 

"It's amazing," I agreed quietly.

Dr. Penny smiled at the two of us, "I'll print you out some pictures." 

After Xo had wiped the gel off her stomach, Dr. Penny went to get our sonogram pictures and the papers for me. "That was pretty awesome." I told her as I helped her hop off the bed. 

"Wasn't it cool?" She agreed. 

"Do you want to get something to eat?" She asked, 'because I could really go for a burger." She added with a laugh. "

I'd like that." I said.

---BREAK----

XO POV

After grabbing a bite to eat, Ronny drove me home. I was surprised at what a good day I had with him. He was very polite, chivalrous, and funny, I really liked having him with me. As we pulled up to my apartment I turned to him before I got out. "Thanks for today." I said honestly, looking him directly in the eyes.

"Thank you for letting me come." He replied. 

I blushed, "Well I'll see you soon," I said getting out. 

I turned towards my building when he rolled down his window and called, "Xo would you like to meet my parents?"