Chapter 6

You groaned and rustled in your bed as the unwelcome morning sunlight hit your face, the open window allowing its brilliant beams to shine through, as well as a light, fresh gust of wind.

You let your eyes slowly flutter open, gradually coming to embrace the new day.

You yawned and slowly blinked awake.

"Glad to see you're awake," a calm voice spoke, jolting you out of your sleepy daze.

Your eyes snapped open to find a familiar pointed face hovering just above yours, their unusually sharp teeth bared in a stupid grin.

"Wh-what are you doing here?" You gasped yanking the covers up protectively over your naked body.

The intruder chuckled and blew a tuft of blonde hair from his eyes.

"I'm here to see you of course."

"I thought only Natsu broke into people's houses while they were asleep!" you curred, clutching the blankets to your chest as you brought yourself up.

You massaged your temples, sighing, "How long have you been here?"

"Long enough to note how beautiful you are in your sleep," he answered simply.

You gave him a lazy smile, "Thanks Sting, but don't think flattery will excuse you," you waved a finger in his face, "I don't recall giving you a key, or inviting you in."

He scratched the back of his head awkwardly, giving you a toothy grin, "It was pretty easy to get in, I mean, you left the window open," he gestured toward your, indeed open, window.

"Alright, let me make myself more clear, why are you here?" You raised an eyebrow testily.

"Oh yes! Yes of course my lady!" Sting seemed to regain his thoughts quickly, "well, I was hoping to go on a job with you!"

You tilted your head and looked at the Sabertooth Mage quizzically.

"A job?" you inquired, confusedly, "but Sting, we are not even in the same guild."

"Should that stop us from cooperating on a simple mission?" He asked, flicking away a small shock of thick blond hair from his eyes.

"But what about Rogue," you started, "if I'm not mistaken, I believe he is always your trusted companion, your longtime partner for everything."

Sting frowned a bit at the mention of his Sabertooth comrade, the Shadow Dragon Slayer.

"And then there's also the cat..." you continued.

"Oh, they'll enjoy a day off without their master," he waved it off, "today my lady, it will be only you and me, doesn't that sound wonderful?"

"I'm not quite sure how my friends will fare with this," you shook your head, "namely Gajeel, and Laxus, and of course Natsu..."

Something seemed to flicker in Sting's crystal blue eyes at your referral to Natsu, a brief flare of what appeared to be anger, some flash of slight malice.

"I'm sure Natsu and the rest of your dragon guardians can sustain without you for one day," he rolled his eyes, hints of resentment apparent in his voice, "it is only one job. And you can choose it!"

You bit your cheek, pondering his offer.

"Alright," you sighed, "what's one job after all?"

"Wonderful! Let's get to it then my lady!" Sting cheered.

"Slow down now," you giggled, "I still must get dressed."

"Oh, I'll help you my lady!"

"I think I can dress myself just fine on my own, Sting," you laughed.

"Of course," Sting walked over to the door, "I will be waiting for you (y/n), I always will."

He bowed slightly and left the room. Leaving you to tilt your head in curiosity and blush.

'Sting I-I...oh Sting, why must you make my heart beat so? Not unlike your friend Rogue, who seems to have the same effect. Not to mention Laxus, and Gajeel, and Natsu...'

..........................

"I assume you're ready to leave, my lady?" Sting asked you, as you opened your front door and padded down the stairs that descended your porch.

He shifted a little, his black boots scraping the concrete he knelt upon. He averted his gaze from the carnations he seemed to be admiring, turning his brilliant blue eyes over to you.

"Indeed I am!" you hopped off the last step, tying off the ribbon laces of your dark cloak.

Sting's eyes scrolled up your body, from your boots
"What's in there?" the blonde inquired, gesturing to the leather satchel that hung on your (...) frame.

"Oh, just necessities," you giggled, shrugging your shoulders.

He gave you a slightly quizzical look, before turning back to examine the array of flowers.

"This is quite a lovely garden you have," Sting remarked, lightly brushing a violet petal with his finger.

"Thank you, but it's nothing really," you knelt down beside him, "gardening just keeps me busy."

"Is that so?" he quirked a brow, studying your modest expression carefully, "for it seems like a plot such as this would take a lot of time and care to cultivate."

"You think?"

"But..." he continued, gently taking both of your hands in his, "with such gracious, nimble fingers, I hardly think such a task would pose a challenge. Not for you, my dear."

Your cheeks blossomed a small shade of pink, but you quickly subdued the blush.

"Thank you, Sting," you held your chin up, "but, we cannot waste another moment, the day is still early, and we must seize it!"

Sting's lips curled up into an amused grin, "Wonderful."

He raised himself up, holding his hand out to you, which you gratefully took, and he hoisted you off the ground.

"Off we go then My Lady," he held his arm out to you, in a gentlemanly manner, "if you would please?"

You smiled and linked arms with him, setting off down the long winding path that led you to your home guild.

'I do hope I can avoid the others,' you thought as you trotted alongside Sting, 'I'd rather not have a confrontation. For some odd reason, there seems to be quite an amount of tension amongst  all the dragon slayer's, resentment even. It eludes me why they would have any quarrels with one another, yet there is some slight yet apparent anger broiling among them, I don't know what to think of it... it's like each of them is acting somewhat... oh what is the word...territorial...'