Chapter 10

..........................

"Now then, boys, settle down," (y/n) said calmly, her expression somber and resigned. "May I just speak to Erik aside for a few moments?"

Gajeel appeared as if he were about to protest, but quickly stepped back, fearing her serious expression.

Laxus spoke up, waving his hand as if to shoo (y/n) and the Poison Dragon Slayer away. "We'll give you a few moments."

It was clear the other two wanted too interject, but were too stricken to do so. They made no move to stop either (y/n) or Erik as the first led the latter several yards away, just behind a tree so they were out of view.

"What is it that she wants to speak to him about?" Gajeel piped, once the two had disappeared from sight.

"She must be telling him that he cannot come on the mission with us," Sting responded, folding his arms over his chest.

"I don't know about that," Laxus chimed, uncertainty in his low, thunderous voice.

"What do you mean?" Natsu shifted his attention to the lightning dragon slayer, his hands folded behind his head. "A guy like that, there is no way she'll let him tag along, he's a criminal."

"Do you not see the way she interacts with the guy?" Laxus rebuffed. "She seems to think that he's somehow a changed man. And beyond that there seems to be a connection there."

"A connection?" Gajeel inquired, whipping around to face the other two. "That's nuts, when would she have a chance to meet this guy, let alone grow close to him?"

"Don't you remember her exchange with him last night?" Sting joined into the dispute. "She made it clear that they'd met before, perhaps on more than a few occasions."

"You assume that they're well acquainted, maybe even friends?" Gajeel quipped. His face conveyed utter befuddlement and dismay.

"I don't think that guy has friendship on his mind," Laxus stated, shaking his head. He had his lips pressed into a firm line. 

"We can't have him going with us!" Natsu burst, his face red with anger and jealousy. "He'll try and hurt (y/n)! Or steal her from us!"

"You imply that she belongs to us to begin with," Sting hissed through gritted teeth. "Make no mistake, Natsu, (y/n) belongs to no man." He took in a long, drawled out breath. "No one, that is, except me."

The men around Sting were quick to rebuke his comment. Gajeel raised a fist and a small flame licked over Natsu's palm; Laxus raised his eyebrow testily.

"So the truth comes out," the Lightning Dragon Slayer growled, taking a step towards Sting. "That's why you wanted to take (y/n) on a mission, and why you were so quick to dissuade us when we insisted on coming along. You wanted to take her all for yourself, make a move on her."

"I'm no animal, Laxus," Sting rose to his own defense quickly. "My intentions were nothing but innocent."

"Meaning she was your intention?" Gajeel probed, clenching his fist so tight his knuckles were turning white.

"You would hurt (y/n)?" Natsu sprung another heated remark.

"Never would in dare do anything to hurt her. I simply wanted a chance to grow closer to her."

Laxus narrowed his eyes at him. "In what ways would you 'grow closer'?" 

Natsu raised another palm, letting a bright flame blaze to life upon it. "I swear if you were thinking of laying a hand on her-"