3

I tossed a small rock around in my hands, humming a lullaby in a vain attempt to sleep. I did a lot of that lately, since their wasn't a whole lot to do. I swear, I would be so fat if it weren't for the dangerously low amount of food I had left.

"Check the kitchen. We need supplies and something is better than nothing."

I froze. Well, no sleep for me now.

It was a voice. A human voice. I hadn't heard a sound quite as alarming and exciting since... forever, it seemed...

"Oh my God- Oh my God!!!" I had to contain my shout to a low whisper. I jumped up and nearly hit my head on the ceiling. I had almost outgrown this tree house.

"Doc, check and see if there are any Zs out back and we'll clear out." A woman's voice commanded

"Got it sister," a man's voice gruffly agreed. I heard my screen door open and the dry grass crunched under someone's boot. I heard them walk around with bated breath.

Should I introduce myself?

This meant my house hadn't been invaded by zombies, which was the whole reason I was so scared to leave this tree in the first place! Now that I had the house and the backyard blocked off, I was free.

My face   Hurt so much from smiling as I tucked my nasty ass hair behind my ear and called out,

"Hello? Doc, was it?" I peeked down from the doorway

"What the-" Doc yelped and turned around and I saw his face split into a smile as he took in my appearance.

"Wooooo wee sister, the apocalypse has not been kind to you." He shook his head to show it was a joke.

I grunted and started down the steps. I jumped the last four feet and the earth felt so amazing against my feet.

"How long you been up there?" The old man asked. I could see him better now, and it didn't look like the apocalypse had been very kind to him either. Not that it had been to anyone.

I paused before I answered. How long has I really been up here? I thought back to my treehouse. For the first month I had tried to keep track of the days by digging my nail into the wood, but it had proved to be impossible to remember everyday and I lost count at around 300. I was pretty stir crazy by then and couldn't focus on much.

"Since it started." That seemed like a pretty safe answer.

I saw his eyes light up with wonder and a bit of sympathy.

"That's about two years, close to three." He said, "How'd you not hit the wall?"

I stared at him.

He looked at me, his eyes held humor, like he was trying to coax me out of my "shell". Really dude, I'm just freaking exhausted. For someone who's spent the last two years doing nothing, all the excitement was taking a toll. Not that I wasn't grateful for it, to finally leave the treehouse felt great.

"You know, went batshit? As in, cookoo?" He waited,

"Who says I haven't?" I cocked an eyebrow at him and he chuckled, shaking his head.

"Murphy'll like you..." He muttered to himself, grinning.

"Come inside, we've got this group of people, real nice people. Except for a few... Do you shoot?"