7

We were headed back to the store about ten minutes later, ready to rescue Addy and 10k from the remaining zombies when we saw them simply sitting outside on one of the old ice makers. Addy had her legs dangling in relaxation, but 10k was on high alert. He seemed ready to spring any second.

And boy, when he saw me... He did.

"What were you thinking?" He demanded when we pulled up. He came straight at me, at a very fast pace I might add. His tone didn't sound angry. I didn't know what it sounded like exactly.

"You're welcome. And you're in my personal space." I backed up, and he looked like he was ready to blow a gasket. What was his problem? I saved his ass back there and the least he could do was say thank you!

"10k," Addy hoped down from the ice maker, her boots crunched at the gravel under her feet. "Cody's idea might not have been the sharpest in the room, but it took guts." She turned to me. "Thank you." We smiled at one another and she returned to Mack, whose arms waisted no time in wrapping around her waist.

"You don't get it," he looked like he was struggling to stay calm, his neck had about four veins exposed and bulging.
"You could have been killed." He stated, looking at the ground.

"Why do you care? We've never met before and-"

"My goal is to be responsible for the death of zombies. Not people." He said, his eyes boring into mine. They looked almost black with anger. What was his deal?

"Okay well, you're welcome anyways." I finished lamely and turned around to retreat to the van, where the rest were waiting.

Cassandra approached 10k steadily.

"What's really wrong here? Normally you would've been siked at such an epic getaway, what's changed?" She asked softly

"She doesn't remember me." His voice was soft and unbelieving

What?

"Tommy-"

Tommy? I've never known a Tommy.

"Stop it. Go away." He snubbed her and pushed past the rest of us to climb up the van. I guess he'll be riding on the roof. He looked down at me from the top of the car and looked away, readjusting his weapon.
I didn't know my presence could jack up a person enough to where they'd wanna risk their life in a way, that wasn't even zombie related. But whatever man, whatever floats your goat.

I looked back at Cassandra and saw that she didn't look mad. She just looked confused and a little hurt.

What was going on?

We ended up driving deep into the night before we found somewhere suitable to stop. It was a small house out in the country. As the car pulled into the driveway, the headlights shiner upon two zombies, already killed, in the driveway.

"Someone's been here." Warren said from the front seat, already unbuckling

"Well, do you think there still here?" Murphy demanded. I had ended up sitting next to him. I heard a thump from the roof and we all froze.

A shadow passed in front of the car and I almost screamed.

Then I saw 10k stand up and stretch his legs, then he looked back at the car and put his hand in front of his face, the car lights blinding him.