three | living in your heartbeat

[ dedicated to everyone who stuck around. ]

song above is 'Please Don't Say You Love Me' by Gabrielle Aplin

❆❆❆

I'VE ALWAYS PRIDED myself for my invisibility skills. As long as I wanted to remain unseen, I could do it.

But today, I was somehow off my game. All thanks to a certain brown haired guy I had hoped to avoid, well, forever.

"Callie! Cal, wait up!" I mentally groaned. And I thought I was doing so well.

As he came face to face with me, I kept my eyes trained on my shoes. Ballerina flats, to be exact, and not my favorite pair of flip flops.

"I haven't seen you all day," his voice took a chipper tone, "where were you?"

Reluctantly, I raised my head and shot him a small smile, "You know, here and there. I was a bit busy."

In regular Jax fashion, he seemed to see right through the transparency of my smile and looked at my current state of disaster. "What's wrong?" He asked, brows furrowed, "and nice clothes, by the way."

I almost scoffed at this. Disaster didn't even begin to describe what I was wearing. After half a day at school, my hair was probably sticking up in a million directions. My so-called make-up all over the place. And finally, the dress Laurie picked out wrinkled and laced with minuscule ketchup stains.

"Don't humor me, Jax." I grumbled uneasily, trying hard to mask my desire for his approval. Or anything really.

He laughed heartily, "I'm serious, you look nice."

If only my feelings would do as well as my facial expressions, then I wouldn't have gotten myself into this mess. Because the moment he said those harmless words, my heart skipped an endless routine.

"This is the part where you tell me thanks?" He smiled yet again.

I replied, rolling my eyes, "Thanks, happy now?"

"I'd pr-" he trailed off, seeing Adeline turn around the corner away from him the same time as I did. Inwardly, I sighed. It seemed as if the weeks had done nothing to ease the pain from his heart.

As he watched her, I watched him. I watched his eyes drop, reminiscing about their times, no doubt. I watched his shoulder sag. And I didn't know what was more painful then. Seeing him like that, or feeling that fading hope deep inside.

I debated just leaving right then. This repeated cycle was beginning to get too much for me.

But before I could even console him, however, he was already facing me. Eyes gleaming with hope that I hadn't seen in more than a month.

"Cal, can you do me a favor?" He pleaded. I had an inkling to what it was, however, that did nothing for my mouth to start telling him to stop.

"Please, please talk to Adeline for me. I don't-"

His desperation did nothing to ease the pain in my heart. Whatever he said after that was left unheard because of the sudden loudness in my heart. It's like everything was building up to the moment when the waves would crash and I would be left with total and utter nothingness.

"Callie?" He stopped and took a long look at me.

"Y-yeah? Sorry, I spaced out."

He sighed, "I'm sorry, I know I'm not supposed to ask you to do this for me. It's just- I just need somewhere to start with, something to make sense of."