four | hanging on a line

[ dedicated to Dane. Thank you for never failing to believe that I'd eventually be able to do this again, ily <3 ]

song above is 'Without You' by Oh Wonder

p.s. new cover made by me is (hopefully) the permanent one

❆❆❆

IT WAS JUST a single moment that caused everything to change.

And after that, nothing was ever the same.

I was in total shock that everything that came after that moment was a blur. What had just happened kept replaying in my head. Over and over again.

Why, why, why?

❆❆❆

10 HOURS AGO

"God, Callie, I didn't know you were this heavy," my best friend heaved beside me, "we literally eat the same things."

"Stop bothering me, Laurie," I moaned into my pillow, "I need my sleep."

I could feel her roll her eyes at me, "You can have your sleep when you get home later. Why did you even sleep so late last night?"

Jax, I thought, stupid Jax kept me up all night.

After I had hung up, he called again. To chat, as he seemed to put it. And although I had tremendously appreciated the 3AM hushed laughters, my body was not appreciating it at this moment.

Laurie, on the other hand, finally managed to shove me out of the bed and I landed with a loud thump. Looking up from my position on the cold floorboards, I could see her grinning in triumph.

"Fine. I'm up," I conceded, "Now will you please get my jeans and sweater from the closet?"

She raised her eyebrows, unimpressed. "What happened to making Jax see you differently?"

Oh, right.

"It's my, uh, cheat day."

Rolling her eyes she opened my closet, "Normally I'd convince you to get it together and just do it, but we're really late today so here. I'll wait for you in the car." Laurie threw my favorite articles of clothing to me and gestured towards her watch as she walked out of the room.

I stared at the clothes on my lap and thought, Here comes another day.

❆❆❆

7 HOURS AGO

"Why do I even bother?" He rolled his eyes, "you're clearly not listening."

I could tell he was trying to be serious by scrunching up his eyebrows in a stern manner but the hint of smile on his lips just gave it away.