Chapter 45-Nurse Bryna

Bryna

I went from dressing up like a sexy nurse and waking him up for a show to sitting in a hospital room surrounded by real nurses, the not so sexy kind...

I hold on tight to his hand as one of the nurses draws a tube full of blood from his arm.

He stares at the ceiling and breathes slowly. His face is pale as a sheet and his hair is drenched.

I try not to pass out as I watch his blood move through the the tube, so dark it almost matches his black skinny jeans that they've had to cut off of his legs.

Those were his favorite jeans.

I look back to his hair.

His hair is drenched.

Drenched in blood.

I screw up my face and try not to cry.

Another nurse comes up to me and tells me to put my chin up. She takes a cloth and dabs it in a clear liquid.

"This might sting a little." she says, not giving me a chance to respond before she starts rubbing the liquid on my chin, scraping the dried blood from my skin.

I let out a small squeak of pain and squeeze Danny's hand a little tighter.

"I'm sorry sweet heart." I need to clean it out.

She continues to rub it, hard, like really hard.

It feels like a million needles are stabbing me in the chin.

She just goes and goes and goes and I can't take it anymore. I move away.

"Don't move." she says.

"No stop! It really hurts. Something is stabbing me....like something is in my skin."

She looks at me kind of funny and takes a flashlight out of one of her many pockets that are weighed down with pens and stethoscopes and other doctory tools.

She turns on the flashlight and shines it on my face.

I can see the reflection of tiny pieces of glass shimmering on her clothes.

"Is their glass in me?" I ask, the panic rising in my voice. "There's not glass in me is there?"

"Maybe just a little sweetheart, but it'll be okay. It's not deep. I can get it out. Just give me a second to go fetch some tweezers and I'll get it right out."

"Don't you have some in those bottomless pockets of yours?"

She laughs slightly, "I actually don't."

I nod and she leaves the room, shuffling along in her kitten scrubs and hot pink crocs.

The nurse life is not so glamorous as I made it out to be.

I look over to Danny who is still staring up at the ceiling, an uncomfortable grimace on his face.

I cannot believe what I just did. I'm so stupid. This is all my fault. I shouldn't have tried to take care of him on my own. I should have just called an ambulance. I should never have gone in such a panicked state.

I guess I said some of this out loud because I look over at him and he is straining himself trying to sit up and speak to me.

"Lay down sweetie." the nurse that is taking his blood says. "You've got to keep still."

I look into his eyes, tears forming in my own, but that's when I notice something.

He has this look in his eye, like he is trying to tell me something super important.