Round 3

Monica's point of view

"How are you feeling bub?" I asked Brendon as he sat quietly in the passenger seat, picking at his ice cream.

"Like shit." He answered and I sighed. "I don't see why I get so much trouble for being different I mean this-this other guy wore a dress to school and they all praised him. I hate the people there."

"People are idiots, love." I joked and grabbed his knee, shaking him gently. "Your mom hates people too, so don't worry about it. Your hatred towards people blossoms from me."

"Is it normal to feel so... sad?" He asked me and I turned the radio down. This definitely caught my attention.

"How do you feel? Tell me. I'll help you the best I can, babe." I told him and he took a bite of his ice cream since his was cookies and cream.

"I don't know. Just... Just really sad and upset and the names they call me are stuck in my head." He whispered and I looked at him. "I don't know, it's-it's stupid. Sorry mom."

"You're an amazing young man Brendon. Don't let their words get to you. I know it's tempting but you're perfectly fine the way you are and you don't have to change anything." I told him and he ate his ice cream to keep from talking.

"Don't ever, ever, think that the way you feel is stupid if it's something like this okay? I want you to tell me because then I can try to help you feel better. You are my son, if something's bothering you, tell me." I told him and he nodded.

"I have a surprise for you when we get home. I think you'll like it." I brought up and he looked at me as I looked at the road. "Wipe those eyes of yours love, you're okay, and if you aren't, then I'll help you be okay again."

"Thanks mom, you're amazing." He smiled. "I love you."

"I love you too bubs." I said and chuckled. "Now, hurry up and eat that before we get home. You know how grandpa gets when he realizes you went to an ice cream shop without him."

He laughed and then nodded before quickly eating the ice cream. "I'll also try to see if we can get you into a school with less assholes, promise."

He nodded and then turned the radio back up. He jumped up and down in his seat, a large smile on his face as he nearly dropped the cup of ice cream.

"Hey everybody!" He said and I smiled as I turned it up, glad he was feeling better. He told me this band makes everything better so I'll have to thank them later on. "We don't have to live this way!"

I tapped my fingertips on the steering wheel as I parked into our driveway, but I didn't turn the car off. "After this song ends, we'll get out." I told him and he nodded.

He sang along to the rest of the song as he finished his ice cream and I smiled. I'm glad he has something to keep him happy and to keep his chin up. It sucks being stuck with no interest in anything.

The song ended soon and I turned the car off. "Come on, I have a surprise." I reminded and he nodded. "Go change out of your school uniform." I told him after we got out.

I locked the car and then put my keys inside of my purse. I followed Brendon to the front door and then I unlocked it. Brendon walked in first and I followed, locking the door behind me. "Go change love, I'll tell grandpa that you're home early."

"Okay mum." He said and shoved his empty ice cream cup in my hands. He ran up to his room and I laughed as I went to the kitchen to throw his cup away.

I saw a boy standing by the counter as I tossed the cup away, and he looked at me. He was dressed in black and had these big brown eyes and slightly chubby cheeks. "Hello."