The Lightwood House

Alec POV--Three years ago

"Alec! Alec, get up. You're going to be late." Hands grab the blanket that laid on my shoulders and yank it off, sending shivers down my whole body. "If you don't hurry Izzy going to start cooking." My eyes snap open.

"I'm up, I'm up." I find my phone on the wooden night stand next to my bed. 6:45
"What the fuck Jace. It's not even seven yet. School starts at 8:30 you asshole." It was the truth but there was no real anger in the words. Even though I complain I still sit up and stretch, reaching towards the ceiling with my long, boney arms as my adopted brother walks into our shared bathroom. We live in an enormous house with at least a hundred bedrooms but we still share rooms because my parents insist that we don't need the extra space.

Even though they don't even share a room anymore. My father sometimes wouldn't come home for days and my mother wouldn't even blink.

Pulling on a dark blue sweater and black jeans I walk towards the bathroom to join Jace, who was fixing his perfectly blonde hair.

"Morning." I yawn to him while grabbing my toothbrush.

"Morning." He finishes putting every hair in place and walks out our tiny bathroom. Literally our bathroom is the size of a closet that you can't even walk into.

I brush my teeth, make sure my hair looks somewhat decent and walk out of the miniature bathroom. Jace had already left our jail sized room and left the door open, again. He never closes the damn door.

Pulling on some my boots I walk out the door and close it. All the halls have a dark blue carpet and random pictures on the walls. Pictures of the ocean and apples in a bowls. But there isn't a single family picture. Not even wedding pictures. The one picture we have of our selves is a picture of Izzy, Jace and I when we went to the beach in the fourth grade. With me in the middle m, Jace to my right and Izzy to my left. My hair was still curly back then. Just like a a black ocean of hair coming out of my scalp. We won a sand castle making contest that day. All of us with a blue ribbon and a gold medallion around our necks. We were all so happy back then, back when our parents were happy and they wouldn't fight every second they were together.

My feet drag me down the stairs and into the kitchen where I found my siblings sitting around the island made of granite. Izzy was texting and so was Jace. Both looking down with their thumbs moving like lightning.

"Morning Alec." Izzy said, looking up from her phone. "Can I make breakfast today?"

"No." Jace and I say it at the same time, making it seem harsher than we meant it.

I clear my throat. "Last time I let you cook I had to clean burnt pancakes from the ceiling."

"So I threw it in the air a bit to hard, so what?" She pushed the long midnight black hair back out of her eyes with a sweeping motion of her hand.

"So what? I'll tell you what, our ceiling is almost fifteen feet tall." I say, pointing to the very, very tall ceiling. When I said big house, I meant a massive house. "You threw the pancake ten feet and I had to be Spider-Man to clean it up before mom came home."

"At least you didn't have to worry about dad." Mutters a small voice behind me. Max. The youngest out of the four of us, only twelve. Unlike my old hair, Max was born with hair like Izzy's pitch black and perfectly straight.

"Max!" I say, surprised that he could say something that no twelve year old should even know about.

"What? It's what you were all thinking." I clench my jaw, he's right. We all know that dad hasn't been home for a while but none of us never would ever say anything about it. Even if our dad is almost never home, he still terrifies all of us.

He walks past me, avoiding my eyes and sits by Jace, who looks as surprised as I felt.

"Max, you shouldn't say things like that." Jace says, wrapping an arm around Max's tiny frame. While he has Izzy's hair, he has my once twig like build.

"Why not? Its the truth." He shrugs off Jace's arm and crosses his own. We stayed silent for a while, all staring at the empty granite counter.

"Well then, that was awkward. How about you start making breakfast and we will set the table." It was Jace. He was obviously trying to lighten the mood and it was working. We all looked at him and his smile that is as bright as the sun, just like his hair, almost like heavenly fire.

"Okay." Max says with a sigh.

Breakfast was mainly uneventful. Until our mother came downstairs while we were talking about Jace's girlfriend, Clary. Our mother's eyes are ringed with red bags and we could all tell she was in a bad mood. All of said good morning but she didn't say anything.

She didn't say anything, but she did do something. Something none of us were expecting. She took off her ring, and threw it down the sink drain and turned on the garbage disposal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
So this happened.
I'm going to be writing about Alec's past for a bit bc it relates to some of the things that happens later soooo be ready for all do that.

-May Golden