Death is a Thief

"Mom!" I scream as she watches sparks come out of the sink drain. "Mom what are you doing?!" I switch off the garbage disposal and shove my hand down the drain. Metal bits tear deep into my hand as I curse under my breath. Finally I find the ring but it is cracks in half, splitting on the opposite sides of the large diamond in the center.

"Alec, you're bleeding!" Izzy says taking my wrist. "Max, go get the first aid kit. Jace help me get the shards out." Jace bolts from his chair like he only now realized what happened.

They get working on my injured hand but I don't feel a thing. All my attention is locked on my mother's furious face.

"You good for nothing bastard. Why the fuck did you pull that piece of trash out." She points at the broken ring that Izzy took out of my hand and placed on the counter.

"Its you wedding ring." I point out, as if she didn't already know that. "The thing you put on to signify that you made a promise to someone." Jace and Izzy are both still pulling shards out of my now bloody hand.

"He broke that promise, I now longer have to keep it." Her eyes start to water. "He," she takes a deep breath as a tear fall down her cheek. "He has been living with another family. He goes to their house almost every night. He has a daughter and a son." She's crying now, putting her hand over her mouth to try and stop her sobs. We all go silent.

A dull bang rings around the kitchen. All of us jump at the sudden noise. It was Max, from the entrance of the kitchen.

"What?" The thing he dropped is the first aid kit, the contents rolling around the kitchen floor. He looks as pale as a sheet. Probably how all of us looked. Wide eyes, gaping mouths and sheet white faces .

"You're lying! You're lying! You're a liar!" He's in tears and Izzy runs over to him, her hands, covered in my blood.

She wraps her arms around him and whispers reassuring words in his ears. Max is burying his face in her hair and clinging onto her shirt, like he's desperately trying to hold onto somethings real.

"I'm not lying! Face the truth Maxie, your daddy is the liar!" My mother starts to laugh like a madman as she grabs the broken ring and run in the yard. Jace yanks my hand towards the sink and runs freezing water over my bloody hand.

"God damn it, Alec!" He continues to look at my hand as he whispers a string of curses. "Izzy I need the fist aid kit." Izzy slowly stands with Max clinging onto the hem of her shirt.

"What do you need?" She asks, surprising calm. I tune out Jace, who is listing the things he needs to stop my hand from bleeding. He finishes, turns the water off, and holds a towel around my hand.

"Alright, give me a second." She gets to her knees and takes things from the floor and puts them on the counter, all while Max is attached to her. She is still so calm.

"Izzy, look at me." She raises her head and meets my gaze. "You knew, didn't you?" I couldn't tell how, but I knew, I knew she knew. Her head drops further and she continues to pick things from the floor.

"Izzy, answer the question." Max had let go of her and was now standing by Jace, who looks stunned. For once, he didn't have any stupid remarks about anything.

"Yes, I knew." She didn't lift her head and the crazy lady walks back into the kitchen as she speaks her hands covered in dirt and blood. She looks insane, her eyes blown wide and chanting something. Something to quite for anyone to hear.

"Mom?" Jace lets go of the towel around my hand and walks slowly toward the crazy lady in our kitchen. Her chanting gets louder and we could all hear what she is saying.

"Liar, liar, liar, lair," She walked past Jace and toward the sink, where the knives are kept. Faster than anyone could expect, she grabs a knife and throws it, right at me.

At first I couldn't see anything, just white light, then I heard the screaming, then I felt the weight. The weight on my stomach, hard and warm and, dripping? I look at my uninjured hand, it is crimson red. It's blood, but not my blood. Max.

Max must have jumped in front of me, just before the knife hit me. My vision cleared instantly. Max is laying on top of my abdomen, a knife protruding from his back and Izzy is running towards me. Jace is holding the crazy lady on the floor and tying her hands with medical tape. Izzy picks Max off me and I slowly get into a sitting position, but blood rushes to my head and everything goes dark.