Chapter 16

Chapter 16: Elyn

1540 — August 31st

Elyn joined the men in the mess hall, caterwauling and cheering with the best of them. Her voice grew more and more hoarse as the night went on, but her eyes kept finding Gavin in the crowd. He always seemed to be just out of reach, just out of touch of her hand.

The battle had been hard won. She could barely handle the excitement on the battlefield, arrows whizzing past her hair and the screaming howls of the men on both sides as their swords clashed against metal and flesh alike. She had weaved in an out of groups of men, making her way to the weak-willed Maxwell clansmen that were attempting to prey on injured MacKenzie or MacDonald men. She finished any men that tried to pick her up and take her away. When she was in danger, MacKenzie and MacDonald clansmen picked up the slack and cut their way to her, saving her life countless times.

Elyn slipped out of the mess hall and went to the chambers to find her sister and family. She hadn't had the chance to tell them very much since Gavin and her had left for Strome Castle. It was doubtful they were ignorant of the ruckus downstairs, though.

She found Sheena and her parents in one of the servants quarters. Sheena stood to her feet as Elyn opened the door, her expression looking worried. As Elyn stepped inside, Sheena's face softened.

"Elyn!" She said, moving to embrace her sister. "What's happening down there?"

"You haven't heard?" Elyn said, surprised. She looked at her parents who seemed just as dumbfounded. "We defeated the Maxwells. They didnae stand a chance."

"We...?" Elyn's Ma said. "Ye didnae — "

"I did. I was in the battle."

Sheena's hand went to her mouth. "Oh my God, Elyn! You could have been killed!"

Elyn shook her head, her hair bouncing against her cheeks. "Gavin protected me." She smiled and felt a warm blush creep to her cheeks. She tried to hide it, brushing past her sister and moving to the window. The moon glowed brilliantly against the clear sky. Stars twinkled gently on the black sheet.

Sheena came up behind her.

They stood together on the balcony for a moment, contemplating what would happen now. The strife that had clouded the highlands for decades was finally lifted. Soon, Elyn was sure, the King would find out about the Maxwell's betrayal and and punish them as he saw fit.

She touched her chest and pulled her necklace out of her dress. The back of it had a small M engraved on it, and she finally knew what it stood for. Her bloodline.

She invited Sheena back to the mess hall to join the celebration. There, Sheena drifted off with Alec Macrae, leaving a blushing Elyn with Laird MacKenzie, who was getting increasingly heady as the night went on. She couldn't stop giggling when she looked at him, his eyes bouncing up and down her body. His cheeks were as flushed as hers, but she didn't mind.

The Laird wasn't presumptuous. The other highlanders in the hall were loud with cheerful cries, but their murmuring seemed to fade into the background as Elyn watched Gavin saddle up next to her. Their thighs touched as they sat on the bench together, pouring over their flasks of drink and plates of food. As they shared a small moment of requited admiration, Barron shocked them both by appearing behind them with his hearty laugh, slapping them both on the back and jostling them from their reverie.

"You two are making awful doe eyes to each other," Barron said. Gavin shrugged and looked up at Barron, who had forced himself between their shoulders, his cheeks rosy and his breath smelling of ale.

"Shove off, Barron," Elyn said. He adopted a stern face and lowered his gaze at her. She didn't flinch.

He burst into laughter and straightened up. He held his stomach as he couldn't contain his joy. He patted Gavin on the back, more gently this time. "You caught a winner here, mate, I assure you of that." He lowered his voice for a moment, "Have you seen Alec and the other Douglas lass? They seem to be getting along as well."