Chapter 1

Chapter 1: Elyn

1540 -- August 25th

A fiery haired woman planted her hands on her hips and leaned over in a stretch. She sighed and wiped her hands on her threadbare dress, flecks of her legs showing between the dusty and damaged seams. Elyn looked up at the sun, feeling like it was trying to kill her. She almost preferred if it would just get it over with, since it had apparently opted to go for the long and painful route: starvation.

Almost three months had passed and not a single drop of water had fallen on her family's crop. At this point, if any water did fall, the scorching sun would lick it up faster than she could dare drink from it. The loch was useless, too salty to be any help.

Elyn stood up from her knee and walked over to the well. The highlands stretched across the horizon, taunting her with their energy and strength. Dark clouds teased her from across the ocean, but she knew they wouldn't come here. Across the way was Eilean Donan Castle, a towering monolith that housed the Clan MacKenzie and their Laird and Clan Chieftain Angus. The loch surrounding the castle was impressive, salty, and sometimes would foam during the harsh storms when they ravaged the land.

The MacKenzie family protected the small village of Dornie from roving bandits and thieves. At times of strife, from other clans themselves. The two other large castles that dominated the highlands were Strome Castle and Castle Iverlochy, the seat of the country, where King James resided over Scotland.

Elyn knew better though. Scotland didn't belong to anyone, she only allowed those who lived there to live a little longer. Even from her small place in the mountains, she knew better.

She narrowed her eyes and peered down into the well. The bottom of the well was as dark as a moonless sky in the summer, and she knew it would be futile to try and dredge any water up. Another well would have to be dug. Despite every fibre of her being telling her not to, she dropped the bucket down the well and heard it scrape against the dry stone and mortar.

The bucket smashed into the floor of the well; nothing was there.

Elyn sighed. It was too late in the summer to rebuild, and with no crops, her family would be forced to move into the castle walls early this year.  Often, families in Dornie would have the privilege to move inside Eilean Donan castle's protective walls during the harsh winter. The MacKenzie clan was in good favor with hers, but that didn't mean she had to like it.

She went inside the small house and found her parents slumped over the table, as if they were sharing a secret with each other. They looked pitiful. Her father, Colin Douglas, was old and growing worse everyday. He could no longer tend to the field, which left her mother, Alison Douglas, in charge of taking care of him. He held a lump of bitterness for being a burden.

"There's no more water in the well again, Da," Elyn said, sitting at the table on a stool. The well-worn wood was smooth against her legs.

Colin furrowed his brow and licked his lips. 

"What's it?" Elyn asked, growing impatient. "I think you two were talking when I walked in, ye donae have to hide it."

Her father weaved his hands together. "Your sister already told me the well is empty." A pause. "Your Ma and I have been talking 'bout moving back to the castle."

"Again?" Elyn groaned loudly and crossed her arms. "It's terrible in there. Cannae we dig another?"

Elyn's Ma touched her hand. "We donae have a choice. I'm sorry, lass."

She slammed her hand on the table. "We do have a choice! We donae have to stay here! The Laird barely cares about us lot, anyway!"

Her Da frowned heavily. "That ain't true, you're speaking lies now, lass. You're lucky the guards aren't around to hear you... You know the MacKenzie's always take good care of us."