Chapter 5

I arrived ten minutes later than the deadline since I didn't have access to neither the Girder nor the Metro. 

A sheepish smile broke out as I noticed the small group of people that were chatting animatedly in front of the Statue of Fisherman. One of the two girls stood to the side with her head bent down over her hands, the jet black hair cascading over her face and hiding her expression. 

Suddenly Dawnett looked up from her phone with her eyes narrowed as she scanned the square. When they finally landed on me a wide grin broke out and she waved me over.

"Hi," I panted when I reached the group. "Sorry for being so late, I forgot to install a Passer Card."

Kamerine shuffled over and threw herself at my back with an excited squeal, wrapping her arms around me, and almost making me fall on the frosty pavement. Her strawberry blonde strands fell around my face, making me grimace as the blue tips tickled my cheeks. Dawnett snorted and reached out a hand to steady me. "Take it piano, Bambi."

"I haven't seen you in ages!" Letting go of me, Kamerine threw her arms over mine and Dawnett's shoulders instead. "While you two are having the time of your life at nursing school I'm stuck reading about strategy development in foreign markets and studying endless graphs all by myself."

"Are you guys ready to go?" Jai appeared in front of us, with R.G and Holwen behind him. I smiled slightly, glancing awkwardly at the two guys behind Jai. R.G seemed like he had his mind in another place, studying the buildings that towered around us but Holwen took a long stride forward, smacking his hands together. "Let's go!"

"This is going to be an awesome night, my favorite band is opening the first show and they said on the news that it was finally going to snow today." Dawnett smirked as she linked her arms with Jai. "You are going to kiss me when the first snow falls, do you hear me?" she ordered him with a mock-stern expression. He responded with a small chuckle and dipped his head down for a quick peck.

"First round of beer is on me!" Holwen announced as we began to walk towards Jai's dark green car. "I owe you guys anyway from the last time," he muttered and took out his wallet to make sure that he'd brought enough cash for the night. A few bills flew out as a gust of wind swept through the small square. "Damn it!"

"Don't worry, I've got it!" I halted and reached for the small bits of paper that floated in the air. I caught two, but one slipped past my hand, making me swirl around only to see that it had landed on the stony ground behind me. R.G bent forward quickly and picked it up, then handed it forward to me. 

"Thank you," I mumbled awkwardly before pulling some hair strands behind my ear. R.G didn't let go of the bill even though I'd already put a firm grip around it. I looked up at his face, confused. An uncomfortable expression draped his features, his hands ruffling his jet black hair as he took a deep breath.

"Listen," he began, exhaling slowly "I just wanted to apologize for last time. Again."

The uncomfortable expression had slipped over to my face now and I waved dismissively with my free hand. "No, it's okay now since-"

"No, it was a d!ck move to kiss you against your will like that," he shook his head. "Sure I'd been drinking but I wasn't drunk. You, on the other hand, were. And very."

"Right... "I broke the eye contact and looked at the side, remembering how last time we had all gone out he had offered to help me find the bathroom when I was feeling ill. However, we never reached it due to the fact that R.G decided to act as my boyfriend to scare off a pushy guy who'd approached us midway. Which was nice of him, except he took it a step further and tried to play tonsil hockey with me instead, completely ignoring my protests and attempts to push him away. That had ultimately earned him a slap on the face from a sobbing Suri.