Our Tree House

Camila heard a loud slam but she knew it wasn't from her own house so she glanced out her window to the house parallel to hers to see her best friend storm across the room to her bed. Camila rolled her eyes, wondering what had happened now as she took out her phone to text Lauren.

'What got you slamming doors at half past eleven?' She typed out as she walked over to sit on her windowsill.

After a couple of seconds Lauren's window opened fully and Lauren leant her elbows on her own windowsill. "Hey."

"Hey Mr Grumpy gills." Camila replied playfully making Lauren chuckle. "So, what's wrong?"

"My mom wouldn't let me go to the party tonight."

"Well, I am glad she didn't, Keaton has been trying to get you to sleep with him for weeks and that boy is not above drugging a girl."

"Keaton's just not my type." Lauren shrugged as she climbed out of the window and onto the branch, shimmying along until she reached the tree house.

"And what exactly is your type?" Camila asked as she followed suit, climbing into the tree house and sitting side by side with Lauren.

"You are my type." Lauren answered, smiling charmingly over at Camila.

"Ah, so dorky losers, then?"

"You aren't a loser."

"So you're saying I'm a dork?"

"You're the queen of dorks." Lauren nodded, smiling over at Camila. "But you're not a loser."

Camila just smiled and rolled her eyes as she leant her head against Lauren's shoulder.

"Why aren't you asleep? You complained all day about being sleepy."

"Lauren, we've been friends since forever, you should know by now that I am always sleepy, that doesn't mean I got to sleep early."

"How do you even survive school? You get, like, three hours sleep a night."

"I have trained myself to live with it."

"And you're ok? Like, there's no underlying reason as to why you can't sleep?"

"No, I'm good. I promise."

Lauren just nodded, laying back on the hardwood floor, pulling Camila down with her. "What are we doing tomorrow?" Lauren asked, unconsciously ghosting her fingertips up and down Camila's bicep.

"I don't know about you but I'm sleeping until at least noon."

"After that." Lauren sighed, glaring playfully down at Camila.

"I don't know, anything." Camila muttered sleepily against Lauren's shoulder.

"How about a sleepover? Tonight and tomorrow."

"I though we stopped calling them sleepovers when we turned ten." Camila said playfully, flashing Lauren a cheeky grin.

"I mean, like, out here, like when we were kids."

Camila frowned, pushing herself up onto her elbows and looked down at Lauren. "What's up?"

"Nothing." Lauren answered but Camila knew by the higher tone of her voice that she was lying.

"Tell me."

"It's just- well, we're going to college soon and I just want to spend as much time with you as I can."

"We're going to the same college, Lo. We will be living together." Camila smiled, watching her fingertips trail along the underside of Lauren's jaw.