Chapter Five

Kassidy

A stone formed in Kassidy's gut when she looked from her mother back to her father. Instantly she felt like a child again, waiting for her parents to scold her for sneaking cookies or treats before dinner. She was twenty-one years old and could do what she wanted, and yet they had an innate way of making her feel like she was no more than that same little girl in pigtails, getting lectured for misbehaving in church.

"What's wrong?" Kassidy asked, forcing the words out through the lump that was in her throat. She knew exactly what was coming, and more than she had in the last week, she prayed someone would come in through the door of the bakery and put off the talk she was dreading having.

Her father had a deep scowl on his well-lined face and her mother had her fingers on her bottom lip. It was her dad that usually did the lecturing, but this time it was her mother's turn to speak.

"Kass, sweetie," she began, starting off sweet. "I know who that young man is. It was very nice of you to help him out, but if he plans on staying in town, we think it's for that best that you..."

Her mother trailed off and it was her dad that finished. "We think it's wise that you don't speak to him again."

"What?" Kassidy asked. It had been years since her parents told her not to speak with someone, and that was only when everyone in Pinewood Grove found out that Josh Stevens – a boy in Kassidy's class – had been caught smoking pot in the school bathroom.

Her mother found her voice again and said, "Honey, I've seen his face in the magazines down at Pearl's." Pearl's was the beauty salon in town. Nearly everyone got their hair cut there, even Kassidy went there on the rare occasion she let anyone near her long hair with a pair of scissors.

"So?" Kassidy asked, still not wanting to believe where their conversation was headed.

"He isn't the kind of person we think you need to be hanging around," her dad told her. "He plays rock music and sings about sex and drugs and things we really don't think belong in this house. He might put on a good show of being a nice fellow or something, but we really think it's for the best that you avoid him before you learn what kind of man he really is."

Kassidy knew there was no use fighting them on their decision, not directly. She had to be clever about what she was going to say or the discussion would lead to a full blown fight. Her calm demeanor had always been a source of pride, and she made sure not to waver in that as she thought about what to say in response.

"You're right," she settled on, forcing herself to turn her frown into a gentle, nearly hidden smile. "As nice as he seemed, I think you have a good point. Besides, I was only helping him get his bike to Murph's after it crashed, which honestly was my fault. The sun was in my eyes and I didn't see him coming."

Her answer was obviously the correct one. She knew her parents were looking for a fight, or at least expecting her to put one up, and when she refused to give them one, it was clear that they weren't sure where to go next.

"That... that's great, sweetie," her dad said, looking to her mom for some kind of agreement or confirmation that they'd gotten the answer they wanted.

"Yes," her mom said with a nod. "We're glad you're seeing this like an adult. We know you're twenty-one now and deserve to make your own choices, and it's nice to see you're making a wise one when it comes to this."

"That's right," her dad echoed. "You have responsibilities to yourself, to this family and to this bakery. Now, we know things have been a little slow lately, but that's exactly why we need you here. Fresh ideas, your ideas. Anything you can think of, run with it."